Chapter 7: Negotiation X Arrows

Word count: 1030 words

"Have you already gotten your target?" I ask Glitter-tack.

"It was easy," Glitter-tack replied nonchalantly.

"Do you happen to have any other badges on you that could potentially be my target's badge?" I ask, batting my eyelashes at him.

Glitter-tack tilts his head sideways and arches a single eyebrow. "Why would I want to help you pass?"

"If you show me your badges and one belongs to my target then let's make a deal," I promise.

Glitter-tack slowly nods his head. Then he pops back into his burrow to retrieve all his badges.

I spot my target's badge and squeal," This is the one! How did you get it?"

"I was having too much fun and let him go because he was bound to die. However, he challenged Hisoka so I had to kill him," Glitter-tack reaccounts.

I say in a teasing voice," Didn't your parents ever teach you not to play with your food."

"I had to learn how to feed myself because food is not a priority," Glitter-tack stiffly says.

I shoot him an incredulous look," Whoever told you that has their head screwed on the wrong way. Food is everything!"

He doesn't believe me, so I just drop the subject.

"What kind of deal are you looking to make?" I ask Glitter-tack.

Glitter-tack declares, "You owe me one favour, and I can call upon it anytime I want."

I say, "I accept these terms, but you cannot call upon your favour if I am in a threatening situation."

I straighten up, brushing the grass and dirt off of me. "It was nice to talk to you, but I need to find shelter because nightfall is approaching."

I skip into the darkness as glitter-tack burrows back into the earth.

Eventually, I come across a cave, which I cautiously enter.

********

"Oh my, there are tunnels!" I exclaim before I quickly enter them

After a few minutes of walking in darkness, I see the light ahead of me. I enter a carven which has a pool in the middle and bright green crystals all over the walls. I have just struck the jackpot. I let out a crackle as I dash towards the crystals and begin hacking away at them. If I make it out of this exam in one piece, I will be able to sell these crystals for a lot of money!

After a few gruelling hours, I was able to collect a few decent-sized green crystals. I put them in my bag and walked back to the cave.

I need to make a fire because I do not plan to freeze my ass off the whole night.

*******

The sun is out, but it is not afternoon yet. Maybe I should go hunting because I can't just keep eating berries. I venture out of my cave slowly and check my surroundings. There is nobody in the trees waiting to ambush me, thank god! I don't think I have the patience or the energy to deal with anyone right now.

I spot a herd of deer a few meters ahead of me and crouch behind a large rock to hide myself. Last night, I was able to craft a spear for myself, using one of my crystals as the tip. However, before I can throw my spear I feel my skin being torn apart accompanied by a stinging pain. Fuck that hurt. I whip my head around to see a shame-faced person.

"You bastard!" I screech.

"I was not aiming for you!" He shouts back.

Before I can storm over and give him a piece of my mind I feel my legs buckle and I drop onto the ground.

He rushes up to me and starts furiously apologising.

I take deep breaths in and out and focus on the nen in my body. I slowly begin to push the paralysis potion out of my body.

Before I pass out I see a panicky Pokkle frantically trying to wake me up, but I can not resist the urge to sleep.

*****

My eyes flutter open and I sit up quickly. In front of me is Pokkle sitting in front of a fire.

"What are you doing lighting a fire in the open," I hiss angrily.

"Shouldn't you be thanking me because I have been guarding you while you sleep like a baby," he taunts me.

"And the only reason why I passed out is because someone has a shitty aim," I snap back. "You must leave your partners so unsatisfied with your shitty aim."

"Don't talk about my sex life!" He screeches.

I deliberately look him up and down," or lack thereof I suppose."

"Stop making fun of me!" He hisses angrily.

I raise my arms in surrender and I calmly ask," How long have I been asleep? A few hours?"

"Why not make that a few days," He says.

"Oh fuck me," I swear loudly.

"We are only one day away from the end of this phase," he states.

I rub the back of my neck and mumble," Thank- you for looking after me."

He pretended not to hear me and asked me to repeat what I said, but when I threatened to castrate him when he was sleeping, he shut up.

A few hours later, the sky darkens and we both notice more stars illuminate the inky sky. Pokkle stops adding more wood to the fire and eventually lies beside me on the grass. He says," I was going to offer you the antidote but it seemed like you healed yourself."

I chuckle before replying," It is something you'll learn how to do after the hunter's exam, but you should work on your aim first."

Pokkle lets out a jittery giggle," Since I could not offer you my antidote please allow me to watch over you as you sleep,"

"So you can stab me in my sleep?" I question him.

"No, No, No, I have no intention to harm you. I am not a psychopath... like your brother," He mumbles the second part.

"Hisoka is not my brother god damn it. All of you need to get your eyes checked!"

"Is that a yes then?" He asks.

"Fine! I am sleeping with one eye open tonight just to make sure you don't do anything stupid," I conceded.

Pokkle just nods his head, blows the fire out and we both eventually drift off.