12

It was now almost Christmas, and the boys had somehow managed to stay out of any major trouble. Although, the teachers noticed, much to their astonishment, that the admirable Remus Lupin (who was battling Lily for the top of every class except Potions) had started to hang out with James and Sirius, bringing with him Peter Pettigrew who hadn't left his side since entering the school.

"Perhaps Remus will have a calming effect on them." McGonagall remarked to Professor Pine one day.

"We can hope." Pine replied. "But in a way, I think it's a good thing that those four came together. Peter has a very hard time fitting in, and I know his parents were worried about him coming to Hogwarts."

But little to their knowledge, Remus had earned his place with James and Sirius not by some chance.

It just so happened that one day in one of their Charms classes, Snape was being particularly annoying, gloating about how Lily was making their feather float above them, as if he were somehow the reason for her success at the levitation spell.

"Bet he can't do it himself." Sirius muttered. James laughed. And sure enough when Lily passed the feather over to Snape, it remained firmly placed on the desk despite the many wand movements, mutterings and concentration of Snape.

"It's ok, you'll get it." Lily said encouragingly.

Sirius faked a gag, and the noise drew her attention across the room to them and she frowned.

"It's such a shame that with all that effort, he's still just not getting it."

the boys turned to see the pale boy, Remus, sitting beside them. He wasn't looking at them, but spoke quietly out of the corner of his mouth, his eyes fixed on the feather hovering lightly above him. He had been the first to succeed at the spell, followed closely by Lily.

"I think we should help him out a bit." Remus whispered, guiding his feather down to his desk, Then, barely moving his body, he turned his wand slightly to his left, muttered something inaudible just as Snape lifted his wand again, and Snape's feather burst into flame.

Students shrieked and leapt away from the feather, Snape and Lily among them.

"Oh dear!" Professor Flitwick hurried over to Snape's feather. "Do be careful!" he said as he extinguished the flame with a spurt of water from his wand.

"Oops. Oh well, I guess mistakes like that are normal for new wizards." Remus said. Sirius, James and Peter fought to hold in their laughter. And from that day forward, the four boys were completely inseparable.

A/N I know that the picture I used for this chapter has some of the characters from the Harry Potter books (Draco Malfoy for one) please pretend you cannot see them. I would draw my own art for this book, but since I can only draw stick people, I'll spare you. Hope you're all safe!