Preparations | II

♡ Today will be a good day♡

_ _ _

Like Kitsey had said, I got the email early the next morning. I read it over several times.

Ishizaki Red,

The entrance exam for UA High School is taking place tomorrow, Tuesday, February 22, at 9:30 AM. Please be at the testing site 10-20 minutes early to sign in and get situated. Please bring a pencil and a pen for the written portion of the exam. 

Though we strive to keep our test safe and free of risk, some injury is possible. As a precaution, we are informing you that all injuries sustained in the practical exam are not the responsibility of UA High School. 

Your testing site is A wing of UA High School. Please be prompt.

Good Luck,

Principal Nezu

I almost yelled in delight, but it was 8:00 in the morning, meaning my moms and sister were still asleep, so I contained my excitement. I walked over to the calendar hanging on my wall and added the date and time of the exam. I knew I wouldn't forget it, but it was fun to see the bright red lettering and know that it would make or break the rest of my career as a hero. 

I ran downstairs to make breakfast, which I don't usually do, but today I was feeling helpful and happy.

Since I'm not so great at cooking, I made hard-boiled eggs. It was hard to screw up hard-boiled eggs.

When my sister came down the stairs, rubbing her eyes, her hair in the most severe bedhead I'd seen in a while, she made a face of disgust. "Ew, you made eggs? You know I hate eggs."

"Fine, don't eat them," I said, sticking my tongue out at her. She returned the gesture and grabbed a bag of sliced apple out of the fridge.

My moms came down half an hour later, and they ate the now cold hard-boiled eggs before heading off to work.

I walked Tyra to school, dropped her off with her second-grade teacher, then continued another half mile down the block to my school.

"YO KITS!" I called to Kitsey once I was standing near my locker. She looked up from her phone and shoved her way through the crowd until she was next to me.

"Hi Red. Didja get the email?" She looked excited.

"Yeah, the exam's tomorrow. I get to miss school!"

"No way." Kitsey looked annoyed. "How am I gonna cheat off you in the English exam if you're taking a fancy-schmancy entrance test!?"

"Cheat off someone else." Kitsey made a habit of cheating off me in English class. She wasn't very good at learning other languages, but I was mediocre.

"Yeah, okay. Anyways-" Kitsey went off on a tangent about some cute girl she'd met at her dance class yesterday and how she was "90% sure that the cute girl wasn't straight. Her scarf was rainbow. Do you think it's just a coincidence?"

"Ask her for her number," I said absentmindedly, not paying attention.

"No way!" Kitsey never had the guts to approach cute girls. Instead (to my dismay) she just obsessively talked about them to her best friend, which was me.

I sighed. "I dunno what else you want me to say!"

Just as Kitsey was about to respond, the bell rang. "Shizmuffins, I'm late for class!" I ran off down the hall, dodging kids left and right. I made it just before the teacher shut the door, and he gave me a disapproving look.

The rest of the day went quickly enough. Kitsey and I don't share any classes except English and Humanities, so it was excruciatingly mind-numbing.

After school Kitsey went to dance class (I told her to go for it and ask the cute girl for her phone number) and I picked Tyra up from school. She was grumpy, so obviously something had happened.

"What happened at school, Tyra?" I asked carefully.

"Nothing. I'm fine." She snapped, stomping further away from me.

"If you say so."

_ _ _ _ _

Our parents were working late that day, so I offered to make dinner for us. Tyra demanded we get takeout instead because she was sceptical of my cooking.

We ate our food sitting at opposite ends of the long dining room table like evil masterminds. I put the tips of my fingers together, resting my elbows on the table while staring at Tyra.

"What're you doing?" She said, making a weird face at me.

"I am your worst nightmare!" I said, making my voice low and gravelly.

"Yeah, you are." She said sarcastically, smirking at me.

"Ouch. For an eight-year-old, you're pretty vicious."

"I'm eight and a half." She said.

"Same thing."

After dinner, I forced her to take a bath, do her homework, and get into bed. Then I handed her an iPad and went to do my homework. My mom got home ten minutes later and made sure Tyra was in bed before coming to talk to me. She asked me about my day and how school was going, and when my mother got home, she came in to chat with me too. I told them about my day, trying to figure out how I was going to explain the UA situation.

"I'm going to take the UA entrance exam tomorrow." I blurted out.

My moms exchanged a glance before speaking up. "Honey, you can't be in the hero course, you know that."

"I know," I lied. "I'm aiming for Support course. I'm hoping that if I can prove I'm strong enough, I'll get promoted to the General or even Hero course."

"Don't get your hopes too high." My mother said. She was a practical woman, realistic in every scenario. She knew 99.9% of Support or General students stay where they are. Very very few get moved up to Hero.

"I know. Anyway, can one of you give me a ride to the UA campus tomorrow? I need to be there at 8:30-ish.

"My first meeting is at 10:00. I'll drive you." My mom said, standing up and helping my mother to her feet. "Goodnight Red."

"'Night, love you guys!" I said back, climbing under the covers.