9

The journey back to Konoha had been unceremonious and really awkward for a particular prince and his maid. Tenten had dutifully ignored Neji for the most part and had refused to talk to him outside what her duties allowed. Needless to say it was unnerving for the Prince who had gotten used to her snarky comments and boisterous nature.

It had been a month since their arrival at Konoha and Tenten felt like she needed a break. Although the idea seemed wonderful, it all depended on whether or not Neji would want to dismiss her. As the crown Prince's personal maid, taking a break from work meant she could not resume again as she could be an informant for threats to the throne but Tenten really needed a timeout and decided to push her luck.

She had done her daily routine as usual and was on her way from the kitchen to Neji's chambers with his lunch. She could've asked at breakfast and any time of the day for the matter but Tenten was nervous about his decision. Would he dismiss her from work forever? She needed the money for Anko's medicine and getting another high paying job without having to become an harlot would be very difficult for her.

"Neji-sama, I have brought you lunch." Tenten called from outside the door. A faint permission for entrance was granted so she slid the door open and carried the tray of food in. It was awkward between the two like every other day after Neji's confession.

As usual, Neji only ate a few mouthfuls and dropped his chopstick. She was worried about his eating habits for he was slim but her sentiments remained in her. This was one of the moments she observed something about Neji but she dismissed her thoughts once again.

"You can have the rest." His deep voice broke her from her thoughts. He was about to say something more but she beat him to it.

"Neji-sama, I would like to ask for your permission take a breather from work."

The woman tried not to wince at the sharp look she was cast. "Why?" The question held so many emotions.

"My guardian is ill and I am not there to attend to her. It would cause me grief if I heard that she had passed and I had not taken care of her." She did not lie but that was only half the reason she wanted a break. "A week is all I request of you."

Neji knew what was in her mind and it pained him to know that she needed some time away from him. The past month had been excruciating because she kept her distance. He tried to talk to her and maybe incite her temper to get her to say something to him but it failed. He should not have spoken his thoughts that night, however his body had moved on its own accord.

He could feel the warm plushness of her lips and how it felt to feel them against his. Oh how he wished to relive the moment but the forces of nature seemed to be against their relationship.

"Fine, you shall be on a sick leave for a week." Neji permitted with a slight wave of his hand. Relief washed over Tenten as she bowed in appreciation.

"Thank you Neji-sama!"

"Have this." Neji arose from his futon and retrieved a gold bag. He placed the bag gently on the table causing a soft clank to be heard as the coins jingled. Tenten's eyes widened as she waved her hands frantically.

"No no, I couldn't..."

"Onegai[1] Tenten accept it." Neji insisted and grabbed her hand softly, pushing the bag of gold coins into it. Tenten flushed at the contact and accepted the bag of coins reluctantly. She avoided his piercing gaze and looked down at her laps as she fondled the bag.

"Thank you." She murmured. "I shall take my leave tomorrow."

~ x ~

It was a rather busy day at the village but it was only normal. Tenten walked down the dusty road as she relished the familiar smell of the place. It had been so long, almost a year, since she visited. Ino had sent updates about Anko's health through letters and she had kept in touch with her family and friends using the same method but she missed seeing them in person.