30

It was time.

No.

Tenten wanted him to stay.

No!

She thought she could handle the pain.

No!

She knew it was inevitable but she hoped for it not to be.

"No." She wasn't ready for this yet. "No. No. No. No. No!" She sat up, careful not to wake the sleeping children, and buried her head between her knees. Neji sat up and touched her shoulder softly. He didn't know if this was common with dying people but he could tell that today was his last.

"Tenten." Neji whispered. His sight was almost gone and it took effort to lift even his arm. There were times he wanted to pick Nejire and Aoi-Sora up on his shoulders but he could not.

"It can not be!" Tenten lashed out. "It can not. We could find Tsunade-hime again...s-she could make a stronger elixir for you..."

"Tenten."

"...You would be well again and we shall be a happy family..."

"Tenten."

"...You wanted eight children, we would have twelve!..."

"Tenten!"

Tenten finally stopped rambling when she realized that she was already grieving. "Neji." She spoke and placed her head on his chest. His weak heartbeat drummed in her ears as his chest rose and fell.

"I am very happy that I met you and married you. I am grateful for my wonderful children; my beautiful Aoi and my adorable Nejire. Meeting you was the best thing to happen to me, Tenten. I do not fear death because you gave me freedom, Tenten. I can finally be free."

Tenten remembered that phrase from their first meeting.

Finally be free...

She remembered how Neji used to refer himself to a caged bird. Now he was free. Free from duties, free from illnesses, just free. Tenten's tears stopped flowing as she smiled nostalgically. He was free.

"Tenten. Can I have one last kiss?" Neji did not need to ask. They shared a sweet last kiss and Neji smiled serenely before kissing his children's foreheads and laying down.

"I love you." Tenten said for the last time.

"Shinu made itoshi teru."

~ x ~

They say love blossoms in unlikely places. I for one know how true the saying is. Never did I expect in my life to find love, talk less in a girl with two buns atop her head.

She is an enigma, that one. Whereas I am dark and grey, she is light and sunshine. Her spontaneity knows no bounds and her cheerfulness never wanes with time. She is strong, beautiful and smart. I am the luckiest man to have married her.