20

Neji stepped into the familiar black smithery bracing for what he knew would come. Sure enough, the moment Lee recognized him the blacksmith dropped the cutlass he was fixing (much to the Prince's relief) and marched up to him.

"If it isn't the unyouthful Neji. What did you do to hurt my youthful spring flower?" Lee frowned.

"Where is Tenten?" Neji asked, choosing to ignore both the question and term of endearment.

"Tenten is currently displeased with you and wishes not to see you. If you choose to go against her wishes, I am authorized to give you the whip of love." At that, Neji shuddered suddenly remembering Gai's 'whip of love.'

"Please allow me to see her Lee, I know I have erred and I am trying to make it up to her." Neji was too late to brace himself for the onslaught of youth inspired exclamations.

"HOW YOUTHFUL OF YOU! TO APOLOGIZE AND RETRACE YOUR STEPS AFTER YOU HAVE GONE WRONG IS SUCH A MANLY THING TO DO! YOU, MY FRIEND, HAVE REACHED THE SPRINGTIME OF YOUTH!"

"Unfortunately, he has to go through me." Neji spun around at the new intrusion and came face to face with the most shrew looking woman he had ever seen. Her hair was a light shade of purple along with the same colour of eyes which were darker than her hair.

"Anko-san!" Lee exclaimed with a sweat drop dripping from his forehead. Neji felt like that name was familiar then he remembered that Tenten often spoke of the woman that took her in as her own child.

"Hello Anko-san, it is a pleasure to meet you." Neji bowed in greeting. Anko crossed her arms upon her chest as she stuck her face too close for comfort into Neji's face. Her eyes squinted in assessment and examination which made a bead of sweat roll down Neji's porcelain face. Finally, Anko seemed to be done with her physical evaluation and leaned back happily.

"He is quite the looker!" She exclaimed contentedly. Neji was about to relax when Anko's personality did a 180 degrees turnaround and she frowned. "So you're the young man that broke my child's heart?" Anko asked with a frown.

"It was not my intention to and for that, I am gravely sorry and want to apologize properly to her." Neji bowed for the second time that day.

"And you think I would just allow you walk in and break Tenten's heart further?!" Anko accused.

"No, you misunderstand! I am sincere about Tenten, Anko-san. I would have asked for your permission to court her but I could not and for that I apologize. I really love Tenten from the depths of my heart and I am sincere with courting her. I know I wronged her and hurt her deeply which is why I want to formerly apologize to her." Neji said truthfully.

"You really love Tenten?" Anko asked.

"Yes ma'am."

"Are you just going to keep her locked up in a palace room guised as your concubine?" Anko inquired.

"No. I do not want that for Tenten. She is a free spirited woman and I want the best for her. However, there are challenges along the way but I want to overcome them with her."

"Hmm." Anko hummed as she gazed sternly at Neji's bowing frame. For a prince, he was quite humble for him to bow to a common woman like her and speak so casually with Lee as though they were childhood friends. From his actions, Anko could practically smell the love he had for her and was at ease for her daughter was in good hands. Her elderly eyes could see that he was not only physically attracted to her daughter but he loved her for who she was.

"Lee, what do you think we should do?" She asked the green clad man. Neji wondered why Lee's opinion mattered but soon realized that he was Tenten's best friend. Lee had every right to judge whether he was sincere or not.