5. The Secret Date (ruined)

The photo I used as the chapter cover is how Consort Hua looks.
The photo I used is not mine, credit to the rightful owner.

After the unexpected news from Consort Hua, the banquet continued. The Emperor only ordered to supervise her, he didn't even congratulate her. The officials, along Imperial Noble Consort Qi, came to a conclusion: the Emperor didn't care about Consort Hua, only about the child in her womb.

When Consort Hua was promoted, rumors said the Emperor was infatuated with her, but it turned out false.
Her father was the famous Minister of Justice, Zhang Wan; third-ranked Duke.
The Ling household was also famous, since generations they served with honor the Imperial Family, almost since the foundation of The Great Jin Empire.

Meanwhile the Wei Clan was having its gold era, two officials in court and two favorited concubines: in fact, not only Jiao Wei was receiving the attention from the Emperor, Ling Wei too; but still not comparable to her sister.

In fact, the Emperor was spending his free time, not only with his children, but principally with Jiao Wei.

A week after the First Prince birthday, the Emperor would have his first date with Jiao Wei, he was really infatuated with her.

But not a simple date, since etiquette forbid anything like this, the couple will sneak out of the Forbidden City and go around the capital.
Never in history such a thing happened.

———

Jiao Wei was wearing a simple commoner dress, only with a silver hairpin in her hair.
The same goes for the Emperor, he went with a simple look to not attract unwanted attention.

Only during the National Day the commoners saw the Emperor face, and rarely someone recognized him. He hoped that wasn't the case for today.

After they sneaked out of the Palace, they went to the main road of the capitol city,  Chang'an [1], were there was a market with street food.
Immediately the couple went to buy some Jiaozi [2], and after eating, they went to watch an opera together.

When they entered the theater, they took two seat in the first floor, made only for high ranking officials and nobles.

"Your Majesty, are you enjoying the opera?" asked Jiao Wei with a whisper.

"Yes my concubine, but unfortunately soon we need to depart."

"Why so Your Majesty?"

"A new concubine will arrive today, this concubine is from the Mongolian royal family. She isn't a legitimate princess, but we must be at the Imperial Palace when she arrives, It's for the Empire and the people."

"This concubine understand You Majesty, Pin Qie is not angry."

"You understand us so much my concubine."

———

When Jiao Wei sneaked back to her palace, she was greeted by her personal maid

"Welcome back NiangNiang, may nubi ask how was the date with His Majesty?"

"It went well... did you heard about the new concubine?"