6. Imperial Concubine Jian

The photo I used as the chapter cover is how Noble Consort Shu looks.
The photo I used is not mine, credit to the rightful owner.
-

When the maidservant entered the hall of Yongshu Palace, she rapidly bowed to the concubines. "Greetings to the NiangNiangs and concubines, nubi was ordered to report to Imperial Noble Consort Qi as the master of the harem the Emperor decree"

"You can stand up, tell us about it" said Imperial Noble Consort Qi.

As the maid stand up, she lightly bowed towards the concubines as she recites the decree "Noble Lady Jiao Wei is talented, elegant, good in manners and beautiful, thus We promote her to the rank of Imperial Concubine, with the title Jian, Imperial Concubine Jian will also be moved to the Palace of Eternal Spring"

All the concubines under the rank of Imperial Concubine quickly bowed towards Jiao Wei congratulating her, while Consort Hua and Imperial Noble Consort Qi were silent and didn't react at all, probably trying to not show their true emotions.

But the maidservant didn't finish, "First Class Female Attendant Ling Wei is elegant and beautiful as her sister, thus We will promote her to the rank of Noble Lady and will move to the palace of Earthly Honour"

"Noble Lady Ling is beautiful, elegant and good in literature, thus We will promote her to the rank of Imperial Concubine with the title Xian, Imperial Concubine Xian will move to the palace of Universal Happines"

"The ceremony for the newly bestowed titles will be held in the Palace of Eternal Harmony in the same day of the next month"

As the maidservant finished, the First Ranked eunuch of the Emperor entered the hall.
"Greetings to the NiangNiangs, I came here to tell to the concubines the words of His Majesty" as he bowed, he continued to speak, "Upon the arrival of Noble Lady Shun, to celebrate, We wanted to promote our favorite concubines. We will also hold a banquet in three days, all of the concubines are invited to attend"

As the Emperor's eunuch finished to speak, most of the concubines immediately paled.
You wonder who? Imperial Noble Consort Qi, Consort Hua and Imperial Concubine Chun.

———

Imperial Concubine Chun was always composed when she saw his lover show affection to the other concubines, because she knew the Emperor had an hard time to even make her an Imperial Concubine.
The reason was the Empress Dowager and Imperial Noble Consort Qi.

The Empress Dowager would never want a lowly countryside baron daughter to even enter the Forbidden City, the Imperial Palace. Obviously she rejected the, at the time, the Foruth Prince when he asked to marry a baron daughter as his main wife.

"You want to make the Crown Princess a lowly baron daughter?? Go immediately to the Temple and stay here bowing and paying respects to your elders until the next day!
What if the Late Emperor heard that from heavens!"

The Empress Dowager didn't even finished to speak that she fainted. After that the Fourth Prince didn't mention anything about marrying his lover.
But when he was crowned the Emperor nobody could stop him. So a year after the coronation ceremony, he bestowed to his lover the rank Noble Lady, then after only 1 month he promoted her to Imperial Concubine Chun. Just like Imperial Concubine Jian and Imperial Concubine Xian.

As for Imperial Noble Consort Qi the reason was simple: she feared that she would lose her position to a favorited concubine.
Her position was steady only for her son and his father, the Prime Minister. So obviously not having much favors makes your rank and position not secure, as you could be demoted in a second and be banned to the cold palace, forgotten.

———

Imperial Noble Consort Qi decided to break the ice and to talk to her maid servant, "Please go and take 2 gold ingot and give it to His Majesty's eunuch" then she glared to the eunuch and said, "Please tell to His Majesty that all of his concubines will be happy to partecipate to the banquet."

"Then, this servant will take their leave", when the eunuch left Yongshun Palace, the Imperial Consort Qi "Noble Lady Shun must be tired from the long journey, since the new concubine will leave, all the other concubines are free to leave"

Obviously everyone was tired, so all the concubines quickly left after bowing to Imperial Noble Consort Qi, "This Concubine will leave" all the concubines said all together.

sorry this chapter was quite short, but go and check out the next chapter?? its more like a message and an update for the Imperial Harem Rank🥰