Chapter Three

"No! Don't beat me.  Mumma! Papa!  No!"  i woke up in the middle of night due to continuous murmuring from my side.

Nandini was all sweaty and kept murmuring in her sleep.  "God!  Is she having a nightmare?"  tensed Manik tried to wake her up but she didn't react.  She was so much into her nightmare.

Not having any other option Manik hugged her in her sleep and patted her head.  It took her half an hour to calm and sleep hugging him tightly.

It was 5:30 am in the morning sighing Manik slowly untangling himself from her woke up. Not wanting to confront her Manik left for office early morning around 7 while the Nandini was sleeping.

***

"Where is Manik and Nandini? " asked Dadi sitting on the breakfast table. Pallavi looked worried for Nandini but nonetheless replied" She is sleeping.  She was really tired from all the rituals yesterday"

"She is daughter in law of the Malhotras.  She should know her responsibility. It's her first day but ask her to be on time from next time. " Dadi said sternly looking at Pallavi who nodded her head.

After breakfast Pallavi went to wake Nandini up not wanting to make Sudha Malhotra more angry because she knew the consequences and she also know that Nandini won't be able to bear them.

" Nandu?  Baby!  Wake up" Said Pallavi caressing her head. "Maa?" Nandini opened her eyes little and blinked looking at Pallavi and shifted in lap.  Pallavi smiled brightly at her baby who has suffered so much in such a young age.

"Nandu wake up fast.  I have made your favourite breakfast and then you have to take your medicines also" Nandini scrunched her nose listening the name of medicines.

"If you will take your medicines then i will ask Manik to bring you ice-cream and chocolates"

"promish? " asked nandu excitedly sitting in front of Pallavi who nodded her head.

***

" Hubby! "Nandini squealed loudly runny towards Manik who look dead tired with all the office work and he got irritated looking at Nandini

" What the hell!  Stop calling me hubby.  This marriage is nothing for me. I am just tolerating you for the sake of family" Manik shouted jerking her away making her fall on the floor.

Tears made their way in her eyes listening his shout.  She didn't understand what he meant because all she knew was he is her hubby with whom she has live her whole life. She didn't know the meaning of her marriage but her Pallavi maa told her that hubby fulfills all your wishes and she was ready to marry him. 

Manik got more irritated seeing her wailing sitting on floor and ignoring her he went straight towards his room.

Everyone gathered on dinning table where Nandini was still hiccuping. "Stop crying like a kid on such small incident.  Behave like a daughter in law"  Dadi who was already furious on Nandini got chance to taunt Nandini while listening her scolding tears made their way in her eyes again. 

Manik kept silent during the whole dinner while Pallavi made Nandini eat with her own hands.

"Manik tomorrow's deal is really very important.  I hope you are well prepared. " Raj asked Manik while chewing his food.

" Yes Dad!  All things are done. I will leave early morning tomorrow for Pune" replied Manik while his dad nodded.  For Manik work was his utmost priority and Raj knew that and he was proud of his son for that.

Manik went towards his study to grab some files after dinner while Nandini went towards her room with a Ice-cream cup in her hand.

One ice-cream and she forgot all her pain and his scolding. Manik came in room after a while and saw her already sleeping tired a
With all the crying and not to forget the meas she has again created on bed. 

Sighing Manik cleared the place for him to sleep but what caught his attention was 2 bottles of medicines. As far as he knows all her medicines were handled by mom then what was this doing here. Deciding to ask his mom Manik slept.

***
"Pallavi how can you expect Manik to accept her within a day when he knows nothing" Raj tried to calm sobbing Pallavi

"I know!  But all i want is her happiness now.  I gave seen her crying,  begging for even 2 times meal.  And you know Maa still doesn't know the truth.  I'm scared Raj" Pallavi put her fear in front of her husband

"She will never get to know Nandini's truth Pallavi" Raj said turning his face with determination in his eyes. They both knew the cost of it and they were determined to hide it at any cost.

***

Are you liking the story?

What do you think about Manik?

Why do you think Dadi is so cold with Nandini?