Chapter 9

Sebastian

Scarlett is a small and cosy place. There's a bar counter at the left with barstools scattered in front of it . Three men are serving cocktails and whatever that's the customers need. The other side is filled with small to large tables , starting with tables for two and ending with tables for six .

Like Alec and Anna , I have never been inside Scarlett before . And like Alec and Anna I end that today.

It's the Saturday night that Anna told me about. It's the same place they are decided to visit.

" Are you going to move in buddy ?" The bouncer who's guarding the door asks me. A few minutes , it was him who checked my ID and let me in . Since then I have been standing here, by the door , beside him like a statue.

I can't blame him if he thinks I am here for something illegal . " I am looking for someone. " I tell him . He narrows his eyes at me . But that's it. He keeps his mouth shut.

I don't want to go in unaware of where Anna and Alec is. It would be beyond awkward if they found me or even noticed me here. I run my eyes over the occupied barstools in front of the counter. Most of there backs are to me. But I can tell none of them are Anna.

I fail to point out Anna in the crowded tables. Neither I notice the face of Alec. I haven't seen him in three years. But that doesn't mean I won't recognize him if I see him . I couldn't find any of them.

I sigh. " Couldn't find them ." I turn back to look at the guard . He's staring in front of him at the blank wall . I try to figure out what's the actual color of the wall. Purple ? Magenta ? Finally I settle on lavender. It's hard to even guess under the changing lights here.

I try again . " I couldn't find them . " The guard looks at me stoically. " Why are you telling me that ?"

" I want to leave. " It's pathetic . Even for me. Walking into a bar only for what ? Looking for Anna ? And then ending up talking with the guard here and leaving. That's downright horrendous.

" Then go. " The guard huffs at me with full of irritation. Why did I even tell him that ? Am I scared of him ? That he won't let me leave just like that without buying food and drinks.

Disgusted by myself for even coming here  , I push open the door and walk out into chilling coldness of the night. The guard doesn't even bother to open the door for me. He doesn't think I deserve this kind of service. Great !

                                   °°°

By the time I reach my apartment , I was exhausted. From Scarlett I went to the park. I never realized how much I needed the walk until I was already in the park and my mind finally succeed in achieving some peace.

I climb the stairs lazily . My legs are tired and begging me to stop and give them some much needed rest. I have been walking for more than two hours now . First walking to the park from here after parking my car in the garage , then strolling in the park , and then walking home from back .

It's too much for walk for one day . But when your body burns the burning in your chest is forced to hide. Even if it's just for a few hours. It's still worth it.

My legs stop as I see the figure hovering around my door. She notices me reaching the top of the staircase and our eyes meet instantly and I forget the burning in my legs and the pain in my chest returned .

" What are you doing here ?"

" Where were you ?" We both say at the same time. I walk straight to my door , fishing out the keychain that has both my car keys and home keys.