Hope - Avatar: The Last Airbender

There once was an ancient and powerful tribe, admired by many. They were the only benders beside the avatar who were capable of mastering more than one element.
Usually, the ones born with the ability to bend, mastered two different elements, but once every tenth year or so, a female child, with the ability to bend all four elements would be born.

Many meant that these children were cursed and that their mere existence defied the natural balance in the world. Others worshipped the children as much as they did the avatar,

The children born with these abilities were weak, and rarely survived past the age of two. Thus supporting the curse theory. But the children who did survive, and managed to master their powers were called; elementals.

The tribe in which these children were born was located remotely and impenetrably, hidden away from the rest of the world. At least that was the case until the war broke out, and the fire nation attacked.

The fire lord killed his way through the tribe until he realised, that the elementals he was looking for, all had sacrificed themselves in spite, so that their powers couldn't be harvested. All but one who'd stayed to fight and protect her home.

The fire lord captured this woman and doomed her to a life of pain and suffering. A life where she was treated like an object, until a girl was birthed, a girl which could be used to carry on where her mother left off.

The mothers of the girls would be kept locked up and isolated with their child until the child would either show signs of being an elemental, or it had its first blood. When this happened, the children would be taken away and the mothers would either be killed or left to rot in a cell as they were no longer needed.

This cycle was continued for nearly a hundred years, and the fire lord began to believe that his plan would never work, until one night a couple of days after the royal family had been blessed with a baby boy, a descendant of the original elemental gave birth to a girl.

Rumour has it, that the babe was silent when it came out, that it did not cry nor coo. It's skin was pale and it's heart only beat faintly, but in its eyes, the midwives saw blazing fires, roaring storms and raging seas.
The baby girl was placed with it's mother while the midwives went to notify the fire lord, and the mother saw the power hidden within her newborn as well and gave her the name Rea, meaning Hope.
That night, the mother slept in a comfortable bed and got real, good food for the first time since she'd been born. The child wasn't immediately taken from her arms, but comfortably placed in a crib in her room where she could tend to it's every need.

When the child passed the age of two and it was evident that it would survive, it was a day of celebration in the fire nation. When she turned four, she began her training, and when she turned six, her mother was executed in front of her by the fire lord.

From that day on, Rea was cared for by the fire lord's youngest son, Ozai, and daughter in law, Ursa.
Though she was treated like it, for the first couple of years, Rea knew that she wasn't a part of their family.
She would be hidden away at festivities and train when the royal kids were playing.
Rea never once forgot who she really was, and when the old fire lord died and his son Ozai took over, Rea was ensured that she never would forget.

Rea was a slave just like her mom, grandma and all of the other descendants had been. She would never forget how the fire nation had wronged her, and she swore to someday take her revenge.