Heartfelt Reality

(A/N: I included Jong-Hyun as a memory of Taemin's past in this story...it's quite sad, so apologies for that..)

They were almost at their destination.

Taemin had asked Naeun to input her address on his phone before he convinced her to sleep for the remaining journey; she looked extremely exhausted. Luckily for Taemin, he had a cup of espresso before they left the hotel, so he was fully awake to drive a two-hour long ride.

When he parked the car outside Naeun's house, Taemin nudged her awake, "We're here". She fluttered her eyes open, letting out a yawn as she stretched her arms. It was one minute to midnight when they stood at the front door. Naeun turned to Taemin, "Before we go in, just know that my mom and sister can be a little embarrassing and would probably ask you a TON of questions, especially my sister, since you came with me in an expensive-looking car and your outfit is pretty obvious that they're all expensive brands, so if she asks you about them and assumes things before you even try to get a word out..."

Taemin chuckled at her. Was she always this chattery when she talked about her family? She kept going until Taemin interrupted her, "I'd be happy to answer whatever questions they ask". Naeun blushed, realizing that she had chattered herself away. She checked her phone again; it was time.

Ding-Dong!

The door opened.

"MERRY CHRISTMAS, MOM!!" Naeun squealed as she gave her a big bear hug. Mommy Son was in shock for a few seconds before she hugged her beloved daughter back.

"What are you doing here? You weren't supposed to come back until tomorrow!" she exclaimed. She turned to Taemin.

"My, who is this young man?"

Taemin quickly did a ninety-degree bow to her before introducing himself.

"Who is it, mom?" another voice behind them said.

"Saeeun-ah!" Naeun shouted. A girl slightly shorter than Naeun with a bob haircut appeared across the hallway.

"Unnie!!" she squealed, "What are you doing here? I thought..." her eyes gazed at the dashing man behind her sister. Her eyes beamed, "Who are you?" she asked with such interest, her mother gave her a smack on her arm.

"Where are your manners, young lady?"

Saeeun rubbed her arm before bowing at Taemin who bowed to her in return.

Mommy Son quickly urged them to come inside to avoid the cold Christmas night. As Saeeun prepared a bowl of grapes and cherries, Naeun got her gift out and gave it to her mother.

"Oh, Naeun you didn't have to," her mother said as she stared at her unwrapped gift. It was a beautiful coffee mug that had the drawings of the town lights with the word, 'Starlight' engraved on it.

Saeeun had always complained about getting a new bullet journal for the New Year so that was exactly what Naeun bought for her little sister - a thick, leathery blank journal with a personalized bookmark that spelled her name. Saeeun hugged her sister in thanks. As she let go of Naeun, Saeeun's sharp eyes caught Taemin's scarf around her sister's neck.

"Where did you get that?!"

Naeun's hand reached to the scarf, "Oh, this isn't mine. I borrowed it from him," pointing at Taemin who smiled sheepishly. Saeeun's glanced between the two before taking a full scan at Taemin as if her eyes were metal detectors.

Smack!

Another whip from Mommy Son to poor Saeeun.

"Mom!" she whined, rubbing her now aching arm.