Day of Judgement

Naeun kept pacing back and forth in the empty hallway.

Despite spending most of yesterday's time with Taemin, Naeun managed to complete and memorize her testimony. It was short but coherent and concise which was how she wanted it to be. Though her mind was ready to face L, her heart wasn't and things didn't get calmer when she spotted L's adoptive parents. She had seen them before in school but had never conversed with them. The look on his mother's face crushed her heart. Even though she wasn't L's biological mother, a mother's love is a mother's love - there are no boundaries to it. Her husband rubbed his wife's back as he whispered comforting words to her, hoping it would elevate her mood.

Naeun couldn't help but feel remorse for what she was about to do to them - putting their only son in years of imprisonment. But she suffered too. Naeun needed justice and L needed to be brought to justice.

The heartbroken couple wasn't the worst she saw. Many of her peers who had heard of the news came to attend the trial, including L's friends. They looked disgustingly at her group of friends, especially Taemin. He returned their glares with the same intensity. She had to get away from the stuffy environment and the murmurs and glances everyone was giving her. So, there she was, in an empty hallway with only the echoes of her boots clucking as her company. She rubbed her hands for warmth but also in anxiousness. Whispering encouraging words failed and so did happy thoughts.

"Slow down there, honey."

Naeun didn't have to turn to know who it was behind her.

"Taemin Oppa," she began, "I don't know if I can do this. What if I start breaking down in the middle of my testimony? What if I stutter and can't get the message across? What if the judge and lawyers think that my past was only a made-up story to get back at L? What if they decide to release him? What if-"

Taemin placed his hands on her shoulders, "Relax, Nang-ni. You've been practicing and memorizing that speech all night, I swore I wanted to rip the paper away from you," he joked, "I couldn't sleep without hearing a part of your speech in my head!"

"But what if-" 

Taemin interrupted her again, "No more what-ifs. Ready or not, you are going into that courtroom and claim L's guilt," Taemin said sternly. Her shoulders slouched but Naeun knew he was right. She nodded grimly.

"And don't worry about everyone else," he continued, lifting her head, "Just keep your eyes on me."

Memories of her time at the ice skating rink and their snowball fights resurfaced and she couldn't stop a small smile from forming. Taemin smiled back and gave her a quick peck on the lips. Her eyes widened.

"Oppa," she hissed, frantically turning her head left and right to see if anyone had witnessed their tiny display of affection.

Taemin chuckled at her reaction and was about to go in for another one when the voice of their beloved Headmaster interrupted his moment.

"Naeun-ssi," he called.

"Yes?"

"The trial is starting in five minutes, please prepare."

Naeun nodded at her Headmaster as Taemin gave a low growl. She pinched him by the arm.

"Ow!" he hissed quietly.

"And kids," Headmaster Han called out to them again, "Please keep things professional. We are at a court, not a club."

Naeun's face beamed red and Taemin let out a low cough. "Yes, sir," he replied.

Once Headmaster Han was out of sight, Naeun smacked Taemin again. "Stop hitting me woman!" he complained. "He saw us, you pabo!" she scolded back.