Chapter 11

Victoria's POV

The next afternoon I was playing a game of chest with Ryan in the kitchen when we heard voices coming from the hall. We shared a curious look before we went to see who it was. When my eyes landed on the person standing next to Toby I started to run towards him.

Luckily Jaydan was prepared for my hug and he grabbed me before we could tumble to the ground.

"Hello to you to," Jaydan said with a chuckle as he placed me back on the ground. I gave him a quick peck on the lips before I grinned at him.

"I'm just happy to see you," I said. 

"Me too," Jaydan said.

"See I told you I would take care of her," I heard Toby say from behind Jay.

"And did he?" Jaydan asked but I could see the underlying meaning in his eyes. He wanted to know whether I was really fine.

"Yes he did," I said with a bright smile to convince Jay that I really was fine. A look of relief flashed through his face before he gave me a smile.

"It's good to see you again," Ryan said as he greeted Jay. Jaydan's hands tightened around my waist as he pulled me closer. He gave Ryan a smile but I could still see that there was mistrust in his eyes.

"You too, Sir. Thank you for looking after Victoria," he said curtly.

"It was a pleasure. I guess you both want some time to settle in, Victoria will show you to your room," Ryan said and I gave him a smile before I dragged Jaydan up the stairs. Jaydan's room was across from mine, and it mirrored my room except that it had darker colours and didn't look like a room fit for a princess.

Once we were alone in his room, Jaydan closed the door behind him before he turned his attention to me. He hugged me more tightly.

"Goodness, I missed you," he said.

"We've only been apart for a few days," I said with a giggle.

"A few days to long," he said with a groan.

"I missed you to," I said as we pulled out of the hug.

"Are you really fine?" Jaydan asked.

"Yes, Jay. They treated me like an honoured guest. I trust Ryan, Jay," I said earnestly.

Jaydan let out a sigh as he ran his hand through his hair.

"I'm sorry, but James poisoned me against Ryan since I trained here and I guess I still don't trust him. But if you trust him then so do I. Besides he is our only way out of this mess," Jay said and I agreed.

"Good, because this plan won't work if we don't trust each other," I said. I also told him about Ryan's wife and Jaydan became more understanding of the situation.

Jaydan and I spent the rest of the afternoon settling in and catching up. He told me how he went to James and told him that he was sorry for the way he acted. Jay said that it took everything in him not to punch James right there.

"Now you know how I felt when I found Alec was the one behind our stalking problem. I even had to let him kiss my cheek!" I said with disgust.

"Now we're even," Jay said.

He then preceded to tell me how James assigned him to a mission in Australia. It was far away and no one would think Jay was involved with anything that happened here. The swap between Jaydan and his look alike went without a hitch and according to the DF, Jaydan was now on his way to Australia.

Toby came by with our dinner later that evening. He stayed in our room for a while and he and Jaydan shared a few stories from their past at the training institution. I was learning a lot more about Jay's past and I couldn't help but laugh at their antics. They got in a lot of trouble together and I could see why they were so close.

Before Toby bit us goodnight he told us that Ryan wanted to start planning tomorrow morning right after breakfast.

***

The next morning after a quick breakfast we all met up in Ryan's office. Jaydan still did not trust him completely but he was friendlier towards Ryan.

"So how and where are we going to get the proof that we need? I know James and I know that he won't have any evidence pointing towards him. And if there was he would have destroyed it," Jaydan said.

"You're right. James was very good at covering his tracks and still is. We searched everywhere but found nothing. But five years ago, I found a man linked to a previous crime. He didn't have any evidence, but he did give a name. Charles Wagner," Ryan said and he showed us a picture.

"Who is he?" I asked.

"Charles Wagner is a big gun smuggler here, police have been trying to catch him for years, but there is never enough proof," Toby explained.

"He is bound to mess up somewhere," I said.

"He did, but the case never reached the trial. The evidence was compromised and the case was dismissed. I looked deeper into that specific case and I found out that James had a part in compromising the evidence. Since then I knew that there was a connection. Everytime Wagner did something that would get him caught, James used resources to draw the attention away from Wagner or compromise the evidence against him," Ryan explained.

"Another interesting piece of information we found was that whenever some or other accident happened, like the night of the plane crash, Wagner's men were nearby. But there is always no evidence that they were directly involved in theses accidents, but they were to close for it to be a coincidence," Toby explained further.

"So Wagner does James's dirty work for him, and James protects Wagner?" I clarified.

"Exactly what we thought," Toby confirmed.

"It makes sense, James can't do the dirty work himself without risking being implicated himself, so he gets Wagner to do it and if Wagner is caught he simply destroys the evidence and plants evidence that indicates someone else. And no one questions him because he is a well respected agent," Jaydan said and I could here the disdain in his voice. This man betrayed him just as much as he betrayed Ryan.

"Exactly. We won't find evidence. But we have reason to believe that Wagner has evidence on James," Toby said.

"He would be smart to keep evidence on James. Because if James fails to clear his name, he would be able to drag James down with him. But does James know about this evidence?" I ask.

"If he did it would be destroyed. But I think Wagner is a smart man, he won't let his only leverage be destroyed so easily," Ryan said.

"So we have a connection, possible evidence against James and Wagner, but where does that leave us?" Jaydan asked.

"Well a friend of a friend has a lot of debt and I offered her a job. She works as a maid in Wagner's mansion. She gave me the basic layout of the house and where all the precious items in the house is kept. But last week she found a basement door. The door is guarded at all times and no one is allowed in there except Wagner himself. James was never at Wagner's house and he won't risk sending an agent that can be linked to him so he doesn't know about this secret room. If there is any evidence it is bound to be in there," Ryan finished explaining.

"So what's the plan?" I asked.