Chapter Four

Maria Eduarda

Maria Eduarda

I didn't want to be late in my first day, so I woke up extra early to avoid the traffic.

How early, you ask?

Let's just say it's 6:30 in the morning and I've been stalling in Bobo for at least 40 minutes, till it's not so freakingly early and I can go knock on the door without looking so weird.

There's something I hadn't noticed yesterday, but now has my full attention - this maid uniform is very uncomfortable. I'm used to clean my apartment in spandex pants and an old t-shirt and let me tell you, cleaning things wearing thighs, a skirt that goes to my knees, buttoned up shirt and an apron doesn't sound very appealing. But if that's what I have to do, so be it.

I really need to pay my bills. And at least, I don't have to wear heels like Catherine.

"Good morning." A tall, large man dressed in a suit steps right in front of me as I get closer to the house. "Can I help you?"

"Good morning, I'm, hmm--" My voice trails down as I point to my own clothes. "I'm Maria Eduarda, I'm the new house maid for the Styles."

"Can I see your ID?"

"Oh, yeah, sure... Just a moment." I mutter, looking down to my purse so I can get my wallet, frowning. I was here yesterday, fucks sake. "Here."

The man looks down to my ID, screening my information before dragging his eyes back to my face, and when his lips curl up to the tiniest of smiles, I let out a breathe I didn't realize I was holding.

"Welcome, Maria, so nice to meet you. I'm Jerome" His whole demeanour changes from intimidating to friendly. "Nice to have you on the team. You can enter the house, please, use the door on the back OK? It's the service's entrance"

"OK, thanks." I smile back, shoving the wallet back to my purse and going up the stairs, but unlike yesterday when I knocked on the front door, I circle the side of the house, like Catherine showed me yesterday, going to the door on the back, the one that leads to the kitchen.

Taking a deep breath, I enter the house, giving myself a little pep talk so I can swallow my nerves and act normal. There's an older woman wearing an entirely white uniform, her hair tied up on a high bun and covered by a hair net while she stirs something on the stove, the mouth-watering smell of bacon filling the air.

"Good morning." I greet, and she looks over her shoulder to gaze at me. "I'm Maria Eduarda, the new maid."

"Oh, good morning, darling." She gives me a large smile and I notice she also has a British accent, but hers are slightly different from Mrs. Styles's. "Come here, let me take a look at you."

I walk towards her, timidly, glancing over the large balcony next to the stove where she is slicing a huge quantity of different fruits. I stop when I'm close enough to see it's not only bacon she is frying, but also two large sausages. It's 7 in the morning!