Talking is Never the Easy Part

INT. COTERIE - GAEL'S LOFT - MORNING

Callie and Gael sit on the floor, each of them molding some clay in their hands.

CALLIE
She finally fell asleep after sobbing for a good hour.

Gael sighs, feeling sympathy for Davia.

GAEL
I can imagine how she feels, especially the family part of it all.

CALLIE
Before my moms adopted me I never felt safe or loved really. Lena and Stef gave me the unconditional love I needed and always longed for.

Gael is silent, looking at Callie.

GAEL
You don't talk much about your past.

Callie looks over at him.

CALLIE
You don't talk much about yours.

GAEL
There's not much to tell. After Jazmin came out about being trans to my parents, they pretty much kicked her out. And once they found out I'm bi...

Gael sighs, ruining a hand through his hair. Callie watches him.

CALLIE
Have you talked to them at all?

GAEL
My dad only talks to me to tell me I need a real job because art is just a hobby or to write me a check to help keep me afloat.

CALLIE
I'm sorry.

GAEL
It is what it is.

Gael sighs, standing up. He walks over to a near by stool, picking up a towel, and wiping off his hands which are full of clay.

INT. SPECKULATE - GREEN ROOM

Mariana has her bag slung over her shoulder, walking into the green room when she finds Raj sitting at his desk. She stops when she sees him.

MARIANA
Oh sorry, I didn't think anyone was in here.

RAJ
No it's okay. It's your office too.

MARIANA
Yeah...right.

An awkward silence passes between them.

MARIANA
Um...do you want to grab lunch or something later? We really need to talk.

RAJ
Uhh yeah sure. Is twelve thirty okay?

MARIANA
Yeah, sounds good.

RAJ
Okay.

Raj nods, grabbing his tablet off his desk and walking out of the room. Mariana sighs loudly to herself, feeling nervous about the up coming lunch meeting. She walks over to her desk, sitting down in front of her computer.

INT. DAVIA'S CLASSROOM - MID AFTERNOON

The students are working quietly on an assignment as Davia sits at her desk, typing on her computer. Her phone sits next to her computer on top of a stack on papers, as it keeps repeatedly buzzing. She keeps getting text messages from Dennis, asking if they can talk. Davia sighs, grabbing her phone and turning it on its back side. She goes back to typing on her computer, trying not to think about the messages. Suddenly, the bell rings indicating that class is over. The kids all start packing their bags and rushing towards the door.

DAVIA
Hey, your papers are due first thing Friday morning!! No late work!!

Davia goes back to typing on her computer when she feels a presence near by, she looks up to find Andre standing in front of her desk.

ANDRE
Miss. M, got a minute?

DAVIA
What can I do for you?

ANDRE
I don't understand the assignment.