Survival

Kim P.O.V.

Yay more than 24 hours just as I asked for! I get closer to the river in hope of catching some fish.I fill the canteen and drink some more water by hand.The last thing I want is dehydration. I find schools of fish that are about two inches larger than minnows.But it will do,I thought in my brain.I realized they were slow and swam not noticing me,I grabbed about 5 of them with my bare hands in at least half an hour.I looked around and saw roots, not just any roots...Katniss.I grab handfulls and head back to the cave,as I reached the bottom it got cooler and relief fills my body,the only thing close to home. I have is the cold air.When I get to the bottom Ashley is curled in a ball asleep,I walk to her and gently wake her up as if she was my sister  asleep.Her brown hair moved a liitle but she fell back to sleep,I rolled my eyes and shoved her until she was laying on her back. I decided to leave her since it grew dark.When the games started it was noon, so this is the right time for night to fall.I want to cook food but the first thing that comes to mind is someone coming while we were asleep. I came out of the cave and began to grab dead branches and cover the hole a liitle hole was left to let my fat body sqeeze through.When I take a step back I look at the cave,it looked like a hill.As I began to walk i hear a snap and I turn around.A boy older than me by what looks like a year looks at me,I grab my knife that i put in my beltloop and look at him."Listen, I do not want to hurt you.Don't kill me and in return, I won't kill you." I looked at the boy to see if he would decide.My question was answered when he threw the sword at me and it cut my cheek.I threw the knife at him and it hit his heart.  He looked at me and just like that he was dead on the floor.My stomach began to turn as I walked over to him.I knew I needed to get my knife...I can't believe I killed a boy my own age.I flipped him over, pulled the knife out and grabbed the sword.I cleaned them and went back to the cave.Ashley curled up and layed beside Toby she was warm and looked comforted by the dog. I layed beside her and cuddled beside her hoping I would get some sleep.Instead I get none and I decided to go outside.I grabbed my gun and knife, told Toby to stay with Ashley and went outside.

As I was outside I realized there was barf all over the cave,guessed I had barfed after all the killing.I heard a snap from behind me and grabbed my knife and turned around.A girl about my Ashley's age came foward.She had big eyes and passed out ,I grabbed her and dragged her to the cave,I looked to see if she had any weapons... none but her own bare hands what a unlucky girl I thought.I went outside gasping for some relief of relaxation but none was there.I looked around for some tree to climb into,and as if it was planted there on purpose it stood right near the cave.I climbed up slowly adjusting to the darkness.As I reached the top, I looked down then looked up... nothing but darkness and the little creatures.As i was sitting there, I began to think of my father and how I missed him so terribly badly.I remeber the day a man called out my father died in a avalanche.As the days crept farther I began to eat,sleep,and talk less and less.I learned to tune out people,even my mom.It began when my friends began to pull me out and I began to hangout life slowly began to come into pieces. Not in a blink of the eye but slowly my heart healed.But there was always that hole that will never be full.Tears began to run at the thought of him,who knows maybe I will end up with him before the games are over.As I sit letting the chill take over me, I think of a song my dad would sing all the time.

The little birds flutter so softly

to a family that so longly waits for them

their soft tune echoes through the forest 

so small not to be seen

they flit before you can see them 

never to be seen

I always thought that my dad was either talking about a hummingbird but the tune does not make sense so it could be a mockingbird.I never understood the song but always sang it until he died.The more I think about it I think I singed all the time...that is until my father did die, then I felt it was wrong to sing it.I look down wishing I had something to see with because I could be able to hunt possibly be able to kill even though it is not my thing it would have been worth a try.I sit there and think until I feel heat pressuring onto my cheek.The heat becomes unbearrable and I touch my cheek blood gets all over my cheek and the burning sensation does not stop.As I look up I see two great large green eyes stare at me looking hungry for something fresh.I knew this was no human and I realized it was a mountian lion.I grabbed all of my supplies scrambeld down the tree falling halfway down.As I finnaly reached the bottom pain came from the side of my hed and from my leg.I began to drag myself to the cave hopeing I could reach it,but my hopes were crushed when nail sinked into my foot and I screamed out in pain.I try to get on my feet and run as I kicked the mountian lion.I ran about halfway when I fell oncemore,the pain in my leg was unbearable and the mountain loin wanted more.I grabbed my gun as the lion grabbed my shoe.I shot somewhere on the lion and kept crawling,the lion screamed in anger and pain.As I turned around to see where he was I saw him running to me about to attack me at full force.I grabbed my  gun and pointed at his head and shot him.He fell to the floor and died right there on the spot,no fight just layed there dead.Quickly I tried to get into the cave because I knew I was a easy target.As I finnaly reached the cave and got inside all that energy was sucked out of me and I dragged over to Ashley and fell asleep right when I hit the floor.No dreams came and just a sleepless night.I woke up to Ashley waking me up with large eyes and pointing at the girl who was still asleep.I nodded and explained the story to her and she nodded.My throat became dry as I began to talk more and more and grabbed my water.As I slowly drink Ashley ooks at my leg and looks closer at my face."You have many infections all over you...I can find some herbs and other foods and medicine in the forest if you want." I looked at her suprised she would know all about that but I shrugged."I will take care of the girl...do you have a weapon?" She nodded and went outside I dragged myself over to the girl and gently woke her up.She looked at me with an expression that was combined of everything."It is okay you are safe I promise I won't kill you if I would I would have done it already."She did not look any better but the touched her arm and pulled it up,there was a large gash with the with of a pencil,it had blackend up and puss was dripping down it."Got a bad gash eh?Well got pretty bad ones myself." I pulled up my pant leg to show her the gash it had swollen and the burning pain felt better.She smirked and touched her throat.