Chapter Twenty Seven: Unnecessarily Detailed Explanations

Having to stay home from school, I had to find other things to occupy my time. Fortunately, my life hadn’t always been so entertaining, so I had computers and other electronics to keep me busy. Sitting on a blue plush couch in the living room, I was curled up in one my blankets with my eReader. Across from me were Claire and Damon, who were reading books of their own. Books that they’d borrowed from my library.

You have no idea how weird it is to see someone who looked like an eleven year old reading Jude Devereux.

Claire was reading a thesaurus, for God knows what reason. I had my suspicions, but did not dare to voice them aloud. Mostly because I had no desire to bring to mind the words I’d heard over the past few nights.

My dreams certainly weren’t helping either. They kept getting steamier and steamier. I’d have blamed Adrian for it, but seeing as they seemed to have been caused indirectly I couldn’t really get mad at him for it. Still, that didn’t stop me from wanting to beat the ever loving crap at out of him for Monday.

It was now Wednesday, and while it was all fine and dandy to be ditching school, there were only so many things I could do before getting tired of beating Damon at chess; something he found to be absolutely baffling. Of course, my strategy revolved around using the King effectively, and his was more about keeping his out of reach from my pieces.

After a few hours of sitting around reading, I needed to do something physical; walking, running, throwing things. The what did not matter, I just had to move. So I got up and stretched a bit before sitting back down with my ebook, content to read some more.

“Hmm…” Damon’s thoughtful noise caught my attention, but I refrained from looking up at him.

The last few times I’d done that he’d made suggestive gestures in Claire’s general direction to mess with me, causing me to turn bright pink with embarrassment. After he’d shown up to ‘help’ my newfound friend, he’d never left, sticking around and taking the opportunity to toy with my head whenever he saw fit.

I was ready to stab someone, and by someone, I meant him. I’d have to ask Claire first, so she wouldn’t get mad at me for doing it, but it would be worth it. If anything, at least I’d feel better. Then maybe he would stop being such a jerk.

A few moments later, a lightly tanned hand was waving in front of my face, blocking my view of the text. I looked up, glaring at its’ owner. “What?” I snapped, setting my book aside. He’d better not do something lewd again.

Damon smirked, taking his seat back on the other couch. “You wanted to know more about what you were in danger from, right?” He tilted his head slightly, eyes mocking.

Oh, so now someone decided to tell me something. Wonderful. “Are you going to tell me anything, or just be cryptic and vague about it? Because I’d rather you not say anything at all if it’s the latter.” I replied bitterly. Damon’s habit of toying with people’s heads could be hilarious, when it wasn’t directed at me; then it was just annoying.

“I’d rather you hear about it from me, than end up in trouble because I didn’t tell you.” A solemn expression flickered across his face, regret and pain lighting up his eyes momentarily, before vanishing, replaced by his usual condescending grin. “Though Adrian will probably be very upset with me for telling you the whole story, and not the bits and pieces he’d like me to.”

I sat up properly, intrigued. I was quite familiar with Adrian’s tendency to leave things out if he didn’t think I’d like to hear them. He was right most of the time, but I didn’t like being caught off guard by the information later. “I’m already mad at him for the other day. I don’t think there’s much more that could tick me off.” I told him bluntly, waving my hand.