Dark Soul

*Dark Soul*

“Nagtitiwala ako sa’yo, Dark. Malaki ang tiwala ko sa’yo.”

Napatigil ako. Napakurap ako ng makita si Milena na nasa sahig at duguan. Nakangiti lang siya kay Glenn. Unti-unting nagiging abo ang kanyang katawan. Then I heard someone coughing. Napabaling ang tingin ko kay Dark. He’s coughing blood now.

“Dark…”

Pareho silang napatingin ni Glenn sa akin. Napansin ko ang baby hammock pati ang crib na wala nang laman. “Glenn, where’s the baby? Where’s she?”

“Lady… I-I’m sorry.”

Coughs. Hard coughs.

My heart raced fast as blood splattered on the floor. Napatakbo ako para yakapin si Dark. “Ano bang nangyayari sa’yo? Talk to me, baby, please? Are you alright?”

He nodded. He tried smiling as he hugged me and rest his head above my soulder. “I’m alright. I’m always going to be alright when you’re around. Always.”

“Then why is Milena—”

“I love you. You know that, right?”

Tumango ako. Tumingin ako kay Glenn na nag-iwas lang ng tingin niya. He was crying too. I don’t know if it was for his missing daughter and his dead wife. Hindi ko na maintindihan kung anong nangyayari. Gusto kong maintindihan ang nangyayari.

“Dark… I want to know what’s going on.”

Umiling siya. “No. In due time, you will.”

“When will be that damn time, D? I need to know now! I’m scared!”

He chuckled weakly. “Let’s go to the garden. I want some fresh air.”

I eyed Glenn before I nodded to Dark. Magkahawak-kamay kaming pumunta ng hardin. We laid at the hammock side by side while hugging each other. His coughing ceased. Thank God. But I can barely hear his heartbeat which I’m more worried of.

“Dream?”

“Mm?”

“You know… I’m willing to do everything for you, right? You know that everything I do, it’s for your own safety. You know that, right?”

How far is that, Dark? How far will you go to keep me safe? “Of course. I know.”

“But I… I don’t think I’ve proved that enough to you. I did things unacceptable, Dream. I did things to you that I will forever regret for the rest of my eternal existence. I sent you to that asylum. I let you feel the hate that you’re not supposed to feel. An angel like you is not supposed to hate like that. I think… the suffering that I’ve been through is not yet enough to prove you that I love you so much.”

“What do you mean?”

“I love you. I love you, Dream. I really do.”

“Dark, hindi mo naman sinagot ang tanong ko eh! Ano bang ibig mong sabihin? Hindi kita maintindihan! Ano bang nangyayari?”

He cupped my face, his tear streaked face glimmered under the sunlight. “I can’t let you be damned for eternity. I’d rather be damned than you.”

“What…”

Unti-unting nag-sink sa akin ang sinabi niya. Me? Damned?

Angels are pure aren’t they? They can’t be damned to hell because they are pure. So how can Dark be damned? I can because I am not an angel. Just like if my father and mother dies… “Dark… Dark, what will happen if my parents die? What will happen to their souls? Will they lose the memories? Will they lose the powers?”