xxv

he should start with the root of the problem. and who is that? yes, lee jeno.

"jeno," renjun is surprised to see jeno when he opened his door. "what are you doing here?"

"can we talk?"

mark is right. he has no feelings for jeno at all. he's so into the fact that he's the perfect guy of his dreams. he never saw him more than that.

he never liked jeno. he just likes his ideal type. if mark, jisung or donghyuck made it to his list, he'll probably think he likes them too.

that's why he couldn't dislike jeno. because he never liked him in the first place.

gesturing for jeno to come in, renjun closed the door and sat on his bed, jeno sitting next to him.

good seconds passed and the scary silence lingered around the room. the two were groping which of them should speak up first. finally, jeno did, "i'm sorry."

renjun bitterly chuckled, "there's nothing to be sorry for. it's me. it's my fault," he admitted.

"no– you see, i wasn't thinking straight that night. i didn't mean to mislead you. i didn't mean to kiss you..." the next morning, jeno woke up with a hammering pain in his head and the memories of what he said and did flashed on his mind. he's too ashamed that he couldn't face renjun for days.

"the damage is done. our sorries don't really matter now, do they? we just have to forget it," renjun assured him with a smile. "we can start again as good friends, jeno. just like we always did."

jeno smiled at him, but it didn't reach his eyes. "chenle likes you so much. he never stopped talking about you when we first met in china. even when we had a long distance relationship and only talks over phone, there's not a day that he won't brag about how he got himself a cool best friend," he said.

to think that chenle thinks of him that way but he still chose to hurt him. "did he?" he sadly chuckled.

"yeah. he likes you so much that he broke up with me."

renjun's frown turned into shock when he heard the statement, "he what?!"

"few days after your birthday. he meets up with me and ended it all. he said it was for the best. i don't know if i should believe him, though," no hint of blaming renjun could be heard. he doesn't want to let chenle go, but what can he exactly do? he can't keep a person who doesn't want to be kept.

not to be delusional or what, but renjun had a thought. "it couldn't be because i like you, right?" renjun hopes it's not the case because he'll really jump of a cliff if it is.

a shrug is the best answer jeno could give. "maybe. it's not impossible. i told you, he likes you so much. he cherishes you more than anyone, more than me."

"shit! i'm sorry, jeno. i didn't know it would go to this extent. i'm sorry!" he knew his sorries won't make up for the shits he brought upon their lives but it's the least he can say.

"don't sweat about it, renjun. it's his choice. but can i ask you for a favor?"

anything. renjun would do anything for them. he owes them a lot. "say it."

"he threw our relationship to save your friendship. please don't waste it. please don't make him regret letting me go. make it all worth it for chenle," he pleaded. chenle is one of the best things that happened in his life and he would go to the end of the world just to see him happy, even if he's not the reason.

so renjun will make it right.

"yah! zhong chenle! will you really keep ignoring me?!" renjun shouted at the top of his lungs in front of chenle's house.