15

Type walked out of the guest room, rubbing his eyes, having just woken up. He headed to the kitchen for a drink of water. As soon as he entered the living room, he saw Tharn's figure curled up on the couch. He figured Tharn had fallen asleep on the couch again. He walked up to him and gently nudged him to wake him up for class. Tharn slowly opened his eyes and looked up at Type. 

"Did you sleep out here again?" Type asked, voice still thick with sleep. Tharn nodded as he slowly pushed himself off the couch. "It's been weeks, Tharn. Why do you sleep out here? You have a perfectly nice bed inside which is a lot more comfortable than this couch," Type said. Tharn furrowed his brows as he stared at the floor.

"I can't sleep in there," he said, a decibel above a whisper. Type was puzzled as he stared at Tharn with a confused scowl. "Why?"

Tharn shifted uncomfortably in his seat at having to voice the reason out loud because he wasn't truly ready to. It was too embarrassing. But, he knew it was time to tell Type because he had been staying with him for weeks now. He had been there for him, quietly taking care of him, helping him perform day to day function. He had taken up the responsibility to drive them to and from university. He made sure that he was fed and showered everyday. Type had kept him alive for the past month. He couldn't just keep the truth from him. He owed him a lot more than that. 

"Because that was our bedroom," Tharn said, feeling his eyes start to water at the realisation that Pina was really gone. 

Type felt anger pulsing inside him at Tharn's words. He couldn't believe that she had tainted everything in Tharn's life before she abandoned him to a point where he couldn't even be comfortable in his own home. She had taken so much from him and, even after she had left, she was still taking from Tharn. And what felt worse was the realisation that Type couldn't do anything to make it better. He figured burning the house down with all her memories along with it wasn't really a rational idea, but it was the only one he could come up with at the moment. He turned to look back at Tharn who was still staring at the ground. 

"We're going out today," Type said. Tharn immediately turned to look at Type. "What?"

"We are going out today," Type said again, more firmly. Tharn started to open his mouth to tell him no but Type, sensing what Tharn was going to say, cut him off. "We've been cooped up in this house for weeks. You've literally become one with the couch and I haven't left the house except to go to classes. This is not up for debate. We are going out and we are getting drunk. It's a right of passage for getting over a break up anyway."

Tharn kept a steady gaze on Type's face and felt a little bad for making him stay locked up in his house for so long just because he couldn't get over a girl who had strung him along and kicked him to the curb when she was done with him. It was his fault for falling in love with her so easily anyway. Type had nothing to do with the situation he found himself in and felt guilty for dragging him down with him. He could do with getting drunk. Anything to stop feeling the constant pain that cut through his soul sounded like a good idea. "Okay."

Type immediately broke into a smile and grabbed Tharn's arm. He dragged him to his bathroom and squeezed some toothpaste on his brush and handed it to Tharn. Tharn stared at it and felt his stomach twist in pain. Type stared at him, confused by the look on Tharn's face. "Aren't you going to brush your teeth?" He asked. "That's Pina's toothbrush," Tharn said, still staring at Type's hand. 

Type felt like the toothbrush burnt him when he realised it belonged to that bitch and started to search the bathroom floor for a dustbin. When he couldn't find one, he turned to look at the frosted window next to the shower cubicle. He walked up to it, opened it with one hand, and flung the toothbrush out.