Type

12 years ago

"He's so weird," Pop said looking at the quiet kid sitting on his seat all alone during recess. "Yeah, I heard his dad owns a big jeep. My sister saw them riding around town in it. She said it had no roof. Who owns such a car? It's so weird," Tai added on. Type turned to look at the boy, puzzled about what his friends had told him. 

"He doesn't even talk to anyone. I bet he's one of those proud people who think they're too good to talk to others," Pop said. "Yeah. He always comes first in class. Did you see how nice our teachers are to him? He must be a real teacher's pet which is why they give him the highest marks in all subjects," Tai said. 

Type couldn't help but agree with his friends. He had no reason to doubt them after all. 

°°°

"Okay, class. We are going to have a school play this year. Whoever is interested in joining, please write down your names on this paper to sign up for an audition," the teacher said and handed the paper to the class president. 

"That sounds lame," Tai said and Pop agreed with him. The play was Oliver Twist and Type really loved the story because his mom read it to him to bed very often. He decided he was going to write his name in. 

°°°

"The cast list is out. It's put up on the main notice board. Please have a look at it on your way out," the teacher said before she dismissed the class. 

Type excitedly ran to the main hall to see if he made it. He looked up at the names and saw he was on it, not the main role, but he still got a small role and he was happy about it. This would mean that he would get to stay in school after classes for practice and that sounded like a lot of fun to him because he loved being in school so much. 

°°°

At the first rehearsal, he found out that Tharn, the weird boy from class, had gotten the main role and was quite confused. He wondered how he would portray the main role when he couldn't even say two words to anyone around. 

He was soon proven wrong when he sat through the first rehearsal. He was actually really good. His diction and dialogue delivery was on point. He looked absolutely meant for the stage and Type couldn't believe his eyes. 

°°°

"You're so good at acting! Did you learn it from somewhere?" Type asked as he walked up to Tharn who was walking down from the stage during one of the rehearsals. Tharn stared at him and stayed silent. Type got irritated about the fact that his friends were right. He was too proud to talk to anyone so he walked away from him. 

°°°

He started noticing Tharn staring at him from his seat several times a day. Type was really confused about it because when he tried to actually talk to him, he had ignored him. But now, he was just staring at him all the time. He didn't know what to make of it so he decided to go ask him.

"Why don't you talk to anyone?" He asked standing with his arms akimbo in front of Tharn and he saw him shrink in his seat a little. Type realised he wasn't going to get an answer from the boy so he walked away from him to go back to his friends. 

"Why did you talk to him?" Tai asked. "No reason. We're in the play together. I just wanted to ask him about that," Type lied. He knew that he didn't want to be a backbiter, no matter how much they deserved it, so he instead bit his tongue. "Oh, okay," Pop said and they went back to their conversation. 

°°°

During the next rehearsal, Type was sitting down in the corner, eating his packed snacks, when Tharn came up and sat next to him. Type looked at him, a little surprised. Tharn opened his tiffin box and Type saw it contained swiss rolls and muffins. His mouth started watering at the sight. Tharn offered him his snacks and Type stared at him, not knowing if he should actually accept. He watched Tharn pick up a swiss roll and place it in his box. Tharn then picked up a chocolate muffin and began munching on it.