Chapter 8 - The Hub

Burkhart Mansion

After getting ready in the morning I go downstairs so that I can make breakfast. It won't be until afternoon that I'll need to meet that Cody and his friends at The Hub. However when I get to the kitchen my so called parents are sitting at the table being served breakfast by maids of all things.

With a sigh I enter the dinning area and sit down at the table reluctantly. If I go to make breakfast myself when it's being served I'll probably be sent to a psychiatric hospital or something.

"Good morning kitten." My dad says with a smile "it's so nice that you're back to normal now."

"Exactly." The mother replies, a smile also on her face as she looks at me. "We should go shopping today Jackie, I bet we could find you some cute clothes."

I shake my head "No thanks, I have plans today." and I don't want to use any of their dirty money either.

"Oh?" My father asks with a frown "not with that doofus right?"

"Nope, just with people that I don't remember." I say with a hum as I take a small bite of my food.

My mother shifts uncomfortably "and not those Forman's either right?"

"Mr. Forman is funny."

They both look at me blankly and then they chuckle uncomfortably "Very funny kitten." Jack says with a smirk as he stands up and pats my head "I need to get to work."

"Have a good time at the office?" I ask with a frown and a shrug, like, I can't just say have fun swindling money now can I?

"Of course." He says as he walks out of the room.

When he leaves the house I'm sitting at the table with the woman who's supposed to be my mother as she picks at her food. Shortly after I stand up and rush back up the stairs to grab my things. I'll explore the town some more first, I only have six hours or something before I need to be at The Hub anyways.

Point Place

I borrowed the extra car when I left, I also need to get a job. Maybe at the Mall if necessary, well, anywhere if necessary. Eventually I did find my way to the Mall. Then I find out that none of the stores are hiring right now, which sucks for me. Since it's Saturday I can't go to the bank and make a withdrawal - 1970s rules apply here, no banks are open on a Saturday.

Maybe I can apply at The Hub or something? When I'm driving past one do the bars in town I stop and pull up to the building, getting out of the car I walk to the door and check to see if they're open.

I knock on the door as I open it when I noticed that a light is on inside. "Hello?" Now, that is the great way to start a horror movie, right?

"We're closed" I hear shouted from behind the bar.

"I know . ." I say a bit awkwardly as I close the door behind me quietly, "But I was wondering if you had any job openings?"

The man stands up and glances at me with a raised eyebrow "You're a little young ain't ya?"

Raising an eyebrow I huff "Well, I'm here for a job old man."

He snorts "Kids these days. How old are you?"

"Nope, I'm like sixteen, maybe seventeen or something." I mutter as I grab a seat from one of the tables and sit down, placing my hand on my chin as my elbow rests on top of the table.

The bartender/owner raises an eyebrow at me as he turns around completely to look at me with narrowed eyes "When's your birthday?"

"I'd have to check my birth certificate honestly."