7

The first few weeks of school flew by pretty quickly

The first few weeks of school flew by pretty quickly. It was nice, you had a friend to walk to and from school with and a friend to accompany you during lunch. Not to mention the optimistic ball of sunshine in your homeroom class that would constantly chat your ear off, asking you mildly invasive questions just to jot them down in his little notebook. Although he seemed quite overbearing at times, his company was much needed. Everyone's was.

The contrast of people you've managed befriend is massive compared your old school. You only really had one friend, and even then it felt like she had better things to do other than hanging out with you. Or perhaps she was afraid to linger around you because of the boy from that school you had regretfully dated. In her defense, he was a little over the top in terms of possessiveness, and never had any intent on letting you get too close with anyone at your school. That was why you and Camie never really bonded like you wished you would.

When it finally dawned upon you that your boyfriend at the time was forcing your world to solely revolve around his, it was already too late. He had already driven just about everyone out of your life. Without him, your world would've stopped turning all together. If it wasn't for you moving schools and managing to avoid him all together, you probably would've still been trapped in his web of insecurity driven possessiveness.

But you escaped his suffocating clutches and started a new life at UA High. Only you, and perhaps your younger brother, would ever understand the true meaning behind your transfer. Most normal people don't just wake up and decide that they want to move schools, especially following their final year. But you were far from normal, and you'd never open up to your friends about your dark past. Especially not Midoriya. Who knew what he'd do with that kind of information.

"[Y/N]-Chan! O-Oh, it's cool that I call you that, right?"

Speak of the devil.

A blob of fluffy green hair invaded your vision as a bubbly voice cut through the rowdy classroom. Aizawa-Sensei had announced that he was assigning a group project, furthermore inciting a large roar within the perimeters of the classroom.

There was nothing more exciting than being able to work your friends, especially during school hours. The fact that Aizawa had left the groups up to the students only exponentially increased the volume of the classroom. It was a miracle that you could even hear Midoriya over the chatty students.

Flashing the avocado haired male a quick grin, you nodded your head in response to his question. In all honesty, you preferred ditching fancy honorifics, and it was relieving hearing the freckled boy ask. Of course you didn't mind.

"Okay, cool! I was wondering if you wanted to be partners—" Before Midoriya could finish his sentence, he was abruptly interrupted by the sound of a booming voice cutting into the conversation. Looking up, you regretfully met eyes with Bakugou's piercing red ones. He looked like he wanted to tear you to shreds. Lovely.

He forcefully shoved you and Midoriya apart in order to make a space for him to slip in between. The way he pulled you two apart with ease like a child would its legos didn't sit well with you.

"Thought we already agreed on you being a part of my group. The only thing you're good for is that big fucking head of yours, anyways." You could practically see the handles of the faucet behind Midoriya's eyes begin to turn at his harsh words. There was nothing more embarrassing than being humiliated by the sting of his words, especially in front of an entire classroom.

Most of the students, however, seemed to be a lot more focused on their own groups. It was really just you that had to witness the now trembling freckled boy get insulted by his so called peer. If watching Midoriya's mouth begin to quiver in embarrassment didn't encourage you to speak up, then Bakugou's snide smirk certainly did.

Perhaps trying to stand tall would only dig the knife deeper than it already was, but you weren't just going to idly standby whilst your friend got stepped on like a doormat. You had to say something, and you had to say it soon. "H-Hey.. a big head is better than a thick skull. Don't.. don't be so harsh!" The words that managed to slip past your lips surprised even you. If it wasn't for your stutter, you would've quickly shut him down with your harsh retaliation. Walking back over to the green haired male that you had just defended, you placed a gentle hand onto his shoulder as if shielding him from Bakugou.

He didn't quite understand why, but your mere touch sent jolts of electricity coursing through his body. And a small frown graced his features once you removed it in order to brace yourself from the seething ball of fury before you. It was then that Midoriya realized that you were covering your face with your arms in hopes of providing protection against Bakugou's wrath.

"Huhhh?! The fuck did you just say to me?" The spiky blonde wrapped his fingers around your wrist with a bruising grip, effectively pulling you away from his proclaimed rival. He could see the emotion briefly drain from your face as you zeroed in on his hand squeezing your wrist. His bone breaking grip was a dreadful reminder of him. You needed to get the hell out of that classroom before you had another meltdown.

"I'm sorry.. I'm sorry! Please, let go. I need to go." You tried pulling your wrist out of his grip, but it was to no avail. Any attempt to free yourself was futile, seeing as Bakugou was still seething with anger. It reeked.

However, your knight in shining armor came in the form of a sleep depraved teacher clad in all black. "Bakugou, let go. You're hurting her." It was Aizawa's scolding that finally brought him back to reality, dragging him out of his furious trance. With one last scoff, he released your wrist from his death grip. Not without narrowing his eyes at you, of course. Who did you think you were snapping back at him like that?

"Anyways, it looks like you three are the last ones left," The stubbly teacher paused, taking in each of his students' expressions. "You three will have to work together. Please, try your best to refrain from wreaking havoc." And with that, he trudged away and was quick to slip back into his vibrant yellow sleeping back to fall into what seemed to be his 3rd comatose of the school day.

"You're fucking with me, right? I have to work with Deku and Doji*?" You frowned at the nickname. What on earth had gotten you on his bad side so quickly? From what Midoriya had told you, the two of them had been childhood friends, so his vendetta towards him was somewhat understandable. But why you?

Placing a hand on your shoulder, Midoriya flashed you a beaming smile, not giving you much of a chance to brood on it. Sure, you two were stuck working with Sir Grumpypants, but at least you had each other. Something about your presence in itself sent butterflies soaring through his chest and palpitations thrumming through his heart.

He wasn't sure what this feeling was, but he wanted to savor it. To keep it for himself.

*Doji — clueless, clumsy

hey guys uhh i'm not dead i swear 🥰

ALSO,, have y'all ever heard of characters that suffer for plot development? kinda what ochako's role is. i love her to pieces but i don't actually ship her with katsuki,, it's for the sake of the plot lmao. that's all uwu ily all thank you for reading 🥺