8

—

The pattering of the trio's footsteps sounded throughout the desolate sidewalk. Bakugou's stomp like steps seemed to scare off any nearby birds perched on the sides, unlike yours that seemed to blend in with the blow of the wind. That spiky haired delinquent always found something to be mad at, be it at a certain person or simply at the sound of you and Midoriya's footsteps combined.

Whilst it was unnerving being around such a hothead all the time, it also brought you turmoil thinking about his evident lack of joy. Even around his beloved girlfriend, the seemingly permanent scowl on his face never lessened. It made you wonder if there was something going on with him at home.

"The fuck are you staring at, Doji?" His words came out in a barely intelligible snarl, immediately breaking you out of the trance you weren't aware of being in. An unintentional shriek escaped your throat as you instinctively backed away from him, bringing your walking to a halt. You could practically see the steam coming from his ears, and you hadn't even done anything wrong! Well, not in your book, anyway. He clearly believed that by the way that your eyes lingered on his form that you wanted to start something with him.

Once the two other boys followed in your steps and halted their movements to stare at you— or in Bakugou's case, glare at you— you waved your hands around in front of your face, allowing a nervous chuckle to erupt from your chest. "Sorry! I just think that you're a— a real admirable guy. And uhh, I.. I couldn't help but stare!"

Only an idiot would fail to see through your bluff, but perhaps an idiot was just what Bakugou was. Judging by the annoyingly wide smirk that tore across his face, your words had a positive effect on him. "Pfft, that's what I thought." Bakugou said, never once letting the smirk etched across his face drop. Something about the way you praised him sent a foreign feeling of adrenaline rushing through his veins. It was exhilarating.

Midoriya's fists stayed clenched at his sides as he broodingly lead the two of you towards his house.

The position that the three of you had somehow gotten in was awkward; you were sandwiched between the two rivals, with Midoriya on your right and Bakugou on your left.

It certainly didn't help that Midoriya was leaving you and Bakugou to do all of the researching by yourselves. Although there was an important task at hand, the freckled boy couldn't go five minutes without interrogating you, and just had to interrupt your study session to ask invasive questions.

"So, what did you say you planned on doing after graduating?"

Something about the sentence in itself seemed to cut the last thread of sanity Bakugou was holding onto, because the scowl on his face quickly morphed into a grimace. Initially, he thought that Midoriya would be doing all of the dirty work. But it was clear in the way that his fingers clacked against the keyboard that he was the only person in the room even trying.

"God! Shut the fuck up, you incompetent fucking freak. You can't focus on doing the one thing you're good at for just thirty minutes?!" He spat at his now bewildered group mate, malice clearly dripping from his tone. If Bakugou's harsh words hurt Midoriya, he definitely didn't make it explicitly obvious. You could hear the springs of his bed creak as he leaned over and swiftly slipped his school laptop out of his bag, completely driven by fear.

It didn't take long for him to start up the clunky device and begin scoping out useful websites, making you feel left in the dust. Sure, the option of following them in their footsteps and pulling out your identical school laptop was available, but you didn't quite fancy the idea of having to use it whilst completely cramped it in between the two. It would be a nightmare trying not to bump your arm into Bakugou's— he'd probably bite it off if you did.

So you took the easy route and decided on looking over Midoriya's shoulder, in which he seemingly had no problem with you doing. He was probably happy you had invaded his personal space bubble by looking over his shoulder, judging by the faint hues of pink dusting his cheeks. The moment was cut short however when Midoriya nervously shot up from his spot and yelled, "U-Uhm! I have to pee."

And with that, after ignoring your pleas and beelining towards the bathroom across from the stuffy bedroom, he was gone. That left you completely alone with Sir Grumpypants. Great.

"We would've been done with this research by now if we didn't have to drag your freeloading ass along." You could practically hear the smirk in his voice as each degrading word fell from his mouth. Inviting Bakugou to your study session was proving to be more and more of a mistake with each passing second. Midoriya was insistent on allowing him to come over and help, but he was clearly blind to how the spiky haired male would maltreat you.

And now you were stuck in a corner, quite literally and figuratively, with your back pressed up against the bed frame and Bakugou's crimson eyes glaring daggers into your own. As soon as his frame began towering over yours, your brain began recalling a flashback that you had been adamant on repressing.

"You're such a helpless little thing. Without me, you'd be nothing at all." The nail of his thumb dug into your cheek as he pressed the finger into your flushed skin, drawing the slightest bit of blood. Leaning in, he ghosted his lips over your own with a cocky smirk etched across his face. "The wolves will eat you alive if you even think about leaving me."

Bakugou was enthralled by the horrified expression covering your face as each salty tear streamed down your flushed cheeks. Any normal, sane person would've felt immense guilt at the rough sight, but something about the distress that Bakugou himself had caused you sent pure adrenaline rushing through his veins. The fact that he could leave you in such a state with nothing more than his own voice was empowering to him. He wanted nothing more than to pull at your strings like an evil puppeteer. You were basically putty in his calloused hands.

However before he could continue laughing at you in your petrified trance, a certain freckled faced male entered the room with eyes as wide as saucers. "K-Kacchan! What did you do?" It didn't take long for Midoriya to invade your personal space bubble and cup your face with his hands, gently brushing away your frantic tears and eventually pulling you out of your trance. "Hey.. don't cry! Everything is gonna be okay!"

You were far too distracted by comforting feeling of Midoriya's hands caressing your cheeks to notice Bakugou's eyes burning holes into his back. Or his hands clenching by his sides, as if he were out for blood.

midnight update bc i don't sleep!! bruh it's been so long since i've actually written a .. chapter. i've been too busy simping over certain blockmen on twitch 😌

also disclaimer that kento is your adopted brother ! i know how frustrating it is being related to a character that looks nothing like you in a reader insert.. so i just wanted to clarify ^^

anyways uhm.. how're y'all doing? pls talk to me. i am so uninvolved with my readers & have 0 moots bc i am a wimp :)