eight

E I G H T

The weeks passed and Matthew started to break down his walls

The weeks passed and Matthew started to break down his walls. He made jokes, spoke more, and became the version of what he wished he could be all the time, silly.

And though sometimes he had his slip ups, like snapping back and ignoring what people were saying to visit his peaceful zone, he was a work in progress and it was still better than before.

"We still on for tonight mister?" Cass sang sitting down next to him pulling out her folder. The two had become neutral acquaintances over the past few weeks, becoming almost borderline friends.

"Unfortunately so, I'm stuck with you for even longer." He faked groaned causing her to flick his face as she flipped through her work.

"The torture you go through every day!" Cassie dramatically spoke, shaking her head.

"It's a hard life." Matthew sighed, leaning back to look at her, he almost enjoyed spending time with her, she didn't push too far but she pushed just enough, she knew what he liked and disliked, and she was a good assistant, always kept him on track with ease.

The four sat around the table, Logan to Cassies left, Leo on the right, and Matthew front and centre.

"I feel like I'm a mother taking out my sons." Cassie joked drinking her wine, as she looked around the table, the three men laughing in unison, Shai couldn't come tonight so she was stuck with them all on her lonesome.

"Well, you do boss us all around." Logan chuckled making his point.

"It's my job!" Cassies gasped swatting his shoulder, the brother and sister dynamic has become even bigger between them.

"It isn't when it comes to me." Leo remarked resting his arm around her chair with a devilish smile.

"You have the attitude of a seven-year-old so I have too." She smirked at him her empty hand taking his, wrapping her fingers around it.

"Don't compare him to a seven-year-old that's offensive to them." Matthew remarked a hint of anger in his voice, Leo and him has been in the rocks all night.

They ate and chatted about whatever, Cass chiming in when she could, though Logan and Leo were being ridiculously loud and rambunctious. Leo was telling some stupid story from high school, Logan was extremely engaged, and Matthew looked like he was about to punch him.

"...then Matthew tried to kiss her and she stuffed a burger in his face!"

"Look at you not telling the truth again." He murmured through gritted teeth, tension had slowly been rising throughout the night.