Errands

"Stop looking at me like that," you said, glancing up from your plate to glare at Sophie pointedly. 

She shrugged and grabbed the platter of truffles, stabbing one with her fork and waving it around as she spoke. "You were so sad like five days ago and now you're all giddy, but I'm not going to forget what he did. I still think he's an ass."

"It doesn't really matter what you think," you argued with raised eyebrows. 

Ivy and Rey glanced at each other across the dining table. It wasn't often that you found an excuse to come to Rey and Sophie's house. Their place wasn't too far away from yours, about twenty minutes, but without a car the commute proved to be tedious. Today was special however, because the Christmas party was in a week and Sophie wanted you all to critique her dessert options. It was a little silly. Desserts were desserts-- you were sure the guests wouldn't think twice about which treats she served or whether they were better or worse than another, but Sophie cared. She wanted everything about the party to be perfect as she did every year. 

"Personally, I think the brownies are better than the sugar cookies, and you definitely don't need both, Soph," Rey said in an attempt to pull the conversation away from your relationship. 

"I second that," Ivy chimed in with a mouth full of brownie. 

You pursed your lips together and Sophie stared at you, waiting for your commentary with squinted, daring eyes. 

You shrugged. "The brownie tastes better but the cookie is prettier."

"You're pissing me off," she announced with a small smile. 

You tried your best not to return her grin. Sophie was practically your sister. You could scoff, roll your eyes, and say all the snotty comments you wanted, as could she, but you were never really going to hate each other. It was always shallow fighting filled with good intentions. "You're pissing me off," you rebutted. 

"Be supportive of the brownies."

"Be supportive of Kylo."

"He's shit."

"So are the brownies."

"Hey, cut it out," Rey chimed in, holding up her palms in a plea of surrender. "No fighting."

You rolled your eyes and so did Sophie, covering her mouth with her pale purple nails to hide an amused smirk. 

"Why don't you bring him around us if he's not so bad?"  Sophie peeled the foil off a round, poorly decorated cake. "It's supposed to be a snowman," she explained, gesturing to the blurred glops of icing. 

"It's cute," you assured her, holding out your plate as she cut into the misshapen mound. "And I don't bring him around because it's an arrangement. I don't think I'm really supposed to force him to meet the family."