𝑬𝒊𝒈𝒉𝒕𝒆𝒆𝒏.

I 018. I

𝑪𝒖𝒓𝒔𝒆𝒔 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝑪𝒐𝒓𝒓𝒊𝒅𝒐𝒓𝒔

❝ council ❞

ARIADNE KNEW HOW NERVOUS PERCY WAS. She could read him like a book. The boy was incredibly scared about what could happen to him as they were flying straight up to Zeus's palace.

It was bad enough to fly as a son of Poseidon, but being Percy Jackson, it was even worse. And the thunder and lightning swirling around the marble palace wasn't helping.

They circled over midtown Manhattan, making one complete orbit around Mount Olympus. She'd been there many times, and each time had been by elevator. But seeing it from that view, it made her appreciate it's beautiful even more.

In the early-morning darkness, torches and fires made the mountainside palaces glow twenty different colors, from blood red to indigo. Apparently no one ever slept on Olympus.

The twisting streets were full of demigods and nature spirits and minor goslings bustling about, riding chariots or sedan chairs carried by Cyclopes. From her past experience, she knew winter didn't exist there.

Gardens were in full bloom, jasmine and roses and even sweeter things she couldn't name. Music drifted up from many windows, the soft sounds of lyres and reed pipes.

Towering at the peak of the mountain was the greatest palace of all, the glowing white hall of the gods.

Their pegasi set them down in the outer courtyard, in front of a huge silver gates. And before they could even think of knocking, the gates opened by themselves.

Ariadne took a few breath as she hoped off of Blackjack. He gave her a snort and left with his friends, flying off. Thalia, Annabeth, Percy, and her were left alone. For a minute they stood there regarding the palace, the way they'd stood together in front of Westover Hall, what seemed like a million years ago.

And then, side by side, they walked into the throne room.

Twelve enormous thrones made a U around a central hearth, just like the placements of the cabins at camp. The ceiling above glittered with constellations—even the newest one, Zoe the Huntress, making her way across the heavens with her bow drawn.

All of the seats were occupied. Each god and goddess were about fifteen feet tall, and it was quite intimidating for her.

"Welcome, heroes," Artemis said.

"Mooo!"

That's when she noticed Bessie and Grover.

A sphere of water was hovering in the center of the room, next to the hearth fire. Bessie was swimming happily around, swishing his serpent tail and poking his head out the sides and bottom of the sphere. He seemed to be enjoying the novelty of swimming in a magic bubble.

Grover was kneeling at Zeus's throne, as if he's just been giving a report, but when he saw them, he cried, "You made it!"

He started to run toward Percy, then remembered he was turning his back on Zeus, and looked for permission.

"Go on," Zeus said. But he wasn't really paying attention to Grover. The lord of the sky was staring intently at Thalia.

Grover trotted over. None of the gods spoke. Every clop of Grover's hooves echoed on the marble floor. Bessie splashed in his water bubble. The hearth fire cracked.

Ariadne looked nervously at her father. He surprisingly wore something that wasn't a tracksuit. A white button down, buttons undone to show off his chest. And he looked in his twenties rather than his usual self. His hair was somewhat short, and black suit pants covered his legs.