𝑻𝒉𝒊𝒓𝒕𝒚 𝑭𝒊𝒗𝒆

I 035

I 035. I

𝑪𝒖𝒓𝒔𝒆𝒔 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝑪𝒐𝒓𝒓𝒊𝒅𝒐𝒓𝒔

❝ wings ❞

SHE DIDN'T EXACTLY TRUST THE MORTAL. Not after what had just happened. They had been captured and Ariadne had to fight a fifteen foot tall giant and latch a hook onto his loincloth, not exactly fun. Also, she was covered in part of Antaeus's sand-matter-stuff, and she was disgusted.

"This way!" Rachel yelled.

"Why should we follow you?" Annabeth demanded. "You led us straight into a death trap!"

"It was the way you needed to go," Rachel said. "And so is this. Come on!"

Annabeth didn't look happy about it, and neither did Ariadne, but they ran along with the rest of them. Rachel seemed to know exactly where she was going. She whipped around corners and didn't even hesitate at crossroads. Once she said, "Duck!" and they all crouched as a huge axe swung over their heads. Then they kept going as if nothing had happened.

Ariadne lost track of how many turns they made. They didn't stop to rest until they cane to a room the size of a gymnasium with of Ambrose columns holding up the roof. Percy stood at the door way, listening fir sounds of pursuit, but he heard nothing.

Ethan collapsed on the floor. "You people are crazy." He pulled off his helmet. His face gleamed with sweat.

Annabeth gasped. "I remember you! You were one of the undetermined kids in the Hermès cabin, years ago."

He glared at her. "Yeah, and you're Annabeth. I remember."

Ethan glanced over at Ariadne, who was taking deep breaths and stood next to Annabeth. "And you're Ariadne." He said her voice as if she was a delicate flower he was afraid to crush. Percy didn't like it.

"What—what happened to your eye?"

Ethan looked away, and Ariadne got the feeling that was one subject he would not discuss. Ariadne knew the feeling.

"You must be the half-blood from my dream," Percy said. "The one Luke's people cornered. It wasn't Nico after all."

"Who's Nico?"

"Never mind," Annabeth said quickly. "Why were you trying to join up with the wrong side?"

Ethan sneered. "There's no right side. The gods never cared about us. Why shouldn't I—"

"Sign up with an army that makes you fight to the death for entertainment?" Annabeth said. "Her, I wonder."

Ethan struggled to his feet. "I'm not going to argue with you. Thanks for the help, but in out of here."