Day Trip

After breakfast, we walked as a group where the team Murphy and I had put together were slowly gathering. I mentally went over our choices, and though they were inexperienced, I knew they could get the job done. The group consisted of Harper, Monroe, Dax, Troy, Bruno, and Miller. Though Dax and Troy were there for the heavy lifting, all of them had sharp minds and were quick learners. Dax had surprised me. I had thought him nothing more than a brute with a hidden cruel side. But he was protective of those he was loyal to and seemed to thrive under encouragement. Miller was quiet, but like Murphy, he didn't miss much. Only speaking when he felt it necessary. Harper and Monroe were eager and excitable but were some of the few girls in camp who didn't quit easily. They rose to each challenge I set them and kept at it until they succeeded. Troy and Bruno were two of Murphy's boys. They tended to follow Murphy's lead but could hold their own when things became difficult. But most importantly, I trusted them to keep Clarke safe.

Nearing them, I wasn't sure of Raven's views on public display so, I settled on a squeeze of her hand before I headed to the team. A glance back showed her following me with her eyes with a soft smile on her lips. I refocused on the team and set about instructing them on what I expected. Letting them know that Dax was in charge, but Clarke was leading the expedition. They all agreed with the plan, and I left them to finish getting ready. Just as I joined back with Clarke and the others, Finn sauntered up, his boyish smile fading into a scowl as he noticed me.

"Hey, got room for one more," Finn said, ignoring me as he smiled charmingly at Clarke.

"We've got more than enough," I said before Clarke could say anything.

"I've been in that area," Finn countered. "You're going to need a tracker."

"You don't even know where they're going, Finn," Raven cut in, glaring at the boy.

"There's nothing to track," I said, scowling. "If there were, Troy's good at reading the signs. All six of them are good in the woods."

"Harlee, can I speak to for a moment," Clarke interjected. "Alone."

I sighed but nodded, and we moved away from the group.

Clarke stepped close and dropped her voice, "I'm not happy about him volunteering either, but you know he's going to follow anyway."

I frowned but nodded, seeing the point she was making, "Better to keep him in sight than not. Alright, he can go, but under no circumstances are you to go off alone with him. Is that understood."

Clarke huffed a little, "I can take care of myself, Harlee."

A small smile played on my lips, "No, you can't. You haven't joined us once since I've started training everyone."

"Maybe not," she relinquished, "but if push comes to shove, I'm no wallflower."

I smiled, "I know, but I'd rather it not come to that. Just be careful. I don't trust that Finn won't try something. I've seen how he hovers near you whenever you're about camp. He's obsessed with you."

Clarke sighed and ran a hand through her hair, "I know. I've tried talking to him about it, but he just brushes it off and says that he'll do better."

"I get it," I replied. "But Clarke, don't blind yourself to reality in your need to see the good in everyone. Evil is very good at hiding underneath an innocent façade. I'm not saying that Finn is evil or that you're naïve, I'm just asking you to be cautious. You're too important to put yourself in danger."

Clarke smiled at me, "I'll be careful, Harlee."

I sighed, "Okay. The team's almost ready to go. They'll meet you by the gate."