Heavy Lies the Heart

I felt a momentary flash of panic as dread began to fill the pit of my stomach. Though hope still clung to the edges that by the end of the night, Raven would be in my arms, and I would be forgiven. It was more like wishful thinking, but it unlocked muscles and let years of training and memory take over. I took a slow and deep breath and stood to face the woman I love. A woman who could literally blow me up if I had angered her enough. I prayed to the Gods that I hadn't.

"Harlee," Charlotte called from beside me, having stood up when I did. "Who is that, and why does she sound pissed?"

"That would be my niron, Sharlot," I replied. "She is angry because I made her so."

"Well, why'd you go and do that," Charlotte asked, looking between me and the partition.

"Oh, many reasons," I said, looking down at her. "But mainly because I was selfish and afraid."

"Then you probably deserve it," Charlotte said matter-of-factly.

I choked down a laugh and cleared my throat, "Sha, you are probably right. Well, let's get the two of you out of here so that I can attempt to make amends."

"Can I see you if you're still alive in the morning," Charlotte asked, dead serious.

I grinned, "You may, Sharlot. We should go before I make her any angrier than she already is."

"That would be good," Charlotte said, and grabbing my hand, tugged me forward.

We stepped through the partition with Artemis behind us. The moment Raven saw us, her mouth snapped shut and looked at us in confusion.

Charlotte, with her new-found confidence, spoke up as she tugged me to the tent flap that led outside, "Hi. I'm Charlotte. You can yell at Harlee in a minute. She's just walking us out."

"Um, okay," Raven said, looking even more confused.

We stopped by the entrance, and Charlotte hugged me before stepping back and not able to resist, said, "Oh, and could you not kill Harlee. Her people love her and kind of need her. She's kinda a big deal around here. Okay, bye now."

"I will talk with her," Artemis whispered in my ear, but I felt the smirk on her face.

"Don't," I whispered back. "This is as much progress as her wanting to see me when she heard I was back. Whatever you are doing, beja, keep doing it."

"Very well," Artemis said, taking Charlotte's hand. "We will see you in the morning, Wocha."

I nodded, and they left. I turned to face Raven, taking a few steps towards the food-ladened table.

"Cute kid," Raven said. "Who was that?"

I glanced at the tent flap before returning my gaze to Raven, "That was Charlotte. The girl Clarke's been worried about. And Artemis. She helps children who have suffered traumatic experiences. I asked to have a mind healer sent here to help Charlotte work through watching her parents' execution."

"You're full of secrets, aren't you," Raven said, staring at me.

I sighed and nodded, "More than you know. In a way, I am glad that it is just the two of us right now."

"Are you," Raven asked, crossing her arms across her chest and lifting her chin in challenge.

"Yes," I replied, stepping closer to her but keeping a respectful distance. "You deserve to hear the truth first. I thought about telling you who I was once I received word that Heda wanted an alliance with Skaikru, but I was afraid. This conversation, right here, is what I was afraid of, and so I was selfish and kept the truth hidden. Just to have a few more days of happiness with you."