Piraeus night

Have you ever considered that, if there was the opportunity to go back in time and revisit a moment or change the course of history, would you? If there is, do you know when that moment would be, that you would go back to? I have given it a great deal of thought. They say that life is not a dress rehearsal. I do know that for me, I have several that I would want to relive or change. Probably the most significant and memorable would be a series of events that happened in April 1993.

There is one thing I should divulge about myself, before I start, that not many people know. It is something I never really share with anyone as people would think I am delusional. But I feel and see, and sometimes talk to ghosts. But that is a very minor part of this account of events in my life. It's only a small slice of it. Most of the time they are shadows or flickers of movement. But often they annoy me to get my attention by moving things or in my Father's case, hearing his opinion now and again. He plays music more often than not. Sometimes they demand my attention, show me things or I experience things like fragrance that they share with me. It is something I have thought of finding out more about, as I am sure it's a weaker sense than if I learnt to tune into it, or control my listening skills better. But it doesn't really add much except sometimes a bit of extra information as to why things happen. Sometimes it might give me an understanding and oftentimes, the total heebie jeebies. I am totally afraid of the dark. I can ignore it most of the time, but sometimes it makes life more interesting. That said, let's move on.

It was the Summer of 1992. I was on my way in Vassilis' car to a nightclub in Piraeus, with my pen-friend Alexandros, his girlfriend Katerina, to meet their friend Dionisis. We were all 22 years old apart from Katerina who was a bit younger.

I could not contain my thrill and excitement of being in Athens and on holiday again. I love Athens, it has an exuberance and Alexandros' apartment commands a view that is spectacular across the city. The suburb he is in, is a little out of the centre, nestled by a prominent peak running to the south of Greece, named Kesariani. We were standing waiting with expectation, for Vassilis who was picking us up in his car at Alexandros' apartment and then driving us onto Katerina's. 

Alexandros' street was at the street end, flanked by apartments with established gardens, full of fragrant honeysuckle and the now familiar sound of  cicadas, hiding but present. Athens was fiercely warm, like a gaping bread oven, even at night. The air felt still but there was a pleasant evening breeze that cut in ever so gently that lapped at my bare arms. I felt very self conscious. In Britain it's rare to venture out without a coat, never mind nothing and I had lathered myself from head to toe in mosquito repellent. They had a particular penchant for my rhesus AB negative. I would invariably miss a spot or two and they would eagerly bite the back of my knee or a leg part and I'd be scarred for a year. Tonight I felt I'd plunged myself into it.

I had butterflies with the anticipation of the night ahead. 

I loved being away from work. My job really drained me dry of everything and right now I was suitably spent. I was happy to have a change of faces and be with Alexandros again. The house lights were the only ones to illuminate whilst we waited, We climbed into a darkly painted car. I was ushered into the front seat, presumably to keep the driver company. The aftershave and shower gel was circulated by the very welcome air conditioning. My bubbling excitement flowed.

"This is Vassilis, Megan."

"γεια σας Βασίλης I said a friendly, which meant 'Hi' in my best Greek with a smile.

"γεια σας". I did get a weak hello and smile back. I looked at his glasses lenses and they were thickly set, reflecting light off the street lights. Off we drove onto Katerina and I passively listened to the Greek conversation. Katerina's wasn't far.