Sightseeing in the rain

I awoke at 9:30. I enjoyed a shower; it was a wetroom with green and brown, real stone cobbled tiles and a small window. It was really unusual in style and the room got very steamy but the water was hot and came out in a powerful jet. It felt gritty and warm on my back. There's nothing better, mingled with the lather and fragrance of quality soap. I woke up Dionisis with a friendly knock to his door. He shouted acknowledgement.  There was a wonderful view from the kitchen, across the rooftops of Heidelberg. The weather was not looking very kind. After having some breakfast (Dionisis liked to take his time and it was nice. We were both on holiday – he'd dropped out of University for two weeks to be with me, in some ways given his stressful lifestyle I think it was just what he needed). So after breakfast we stocked up the car with coats and food and drove to Ludwigsburg. I was to have him to myself today. I was beyond excitement. We really needed raincoats and fortunately I had taken mine.  It was a lemon yellow Mac made of microfibre and long. It kept me very dry and I loved it. I experienced that fine rain that soaks to the skin and permeates everywhere so it was a good day to be indoors. I bought a guide book at the Palace. It did remind me of Versailles and I was so glad that Dionisis had suggested it. The experience was a fusion of my love for architecture, gardens and all things baroque. Ludwigsburg itself was a tiny place and after getting very lost, we ended up right at the Palace. There's only one word for it – spectacular! I had a quick skim of the guidebook.

"You know, it says hear that this Palace was the the indulgence of Eberhard Ludwig who was looking for a pad to live undisturbed with his mistress. I could cope with living here, what do you think?"

Dionisis wondered around close. He smiled. "That's a lot of dusting!"

"It's like being on the set of 'the sound of music!"

Panels of gold lined decoration were so beautiful. I thought, reading the text that so interesting after the war the economy was so weak and yet this Royal was determined to spend.

I observed "It looks so self indulgent and it is."

I reflected, "But without these big egos there wouldn't be some of the most beautiful and crafted buildings for us to visit!"

I thought that are testament to the age they were in. I presume that the artisans of the time would have either been brought in from abroad or locals were trained so there must have been some local benefit on the economy and local employment.

I found that my phobia of statues was quite challenging at times but the plasterwork and gilding was out of this world. It was always an internal conflict that I had to endure. The chandeliers were incredible. I had to be careful that by looking and walking, I checked myself I wasn't walking into anything valuable as I could be a tad clumsy and I had no intention of embarrassing myself as I was already very self conscious.

"Meanwhile," I continued to read aloud, "people were suffering so badly that a large group of discontented subjects left for America!" In terms of Greek mythology too it was interwoven throughout the building, another of my loves. It was a very pleasant way to spend the day, "Thank you for bringing me here!"

"You're very welcome!" Dionisis replied. "I'm pleased you've enjoyed it so much". Ordinarily I would have taken his arm but I was so self aware. My nerves were on tenterhooks.

Dionisis loved his photography just like me. He had a really good camera; an Olympus. I loved the fact he was so artistic. I have never seen a more stunning stately home, and what's more we had arrived during a plant exhibition and there was a long room it was full of flowers and devoted to orchids. It couldn't be better.

Dionisis went over and had a conversation with a member of staff who was tending to them.

He came over to me. "The owner has a passion for Orchids." 

The Summer of '93On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara