Still awkward!

Another day ended and after work I went late night shopping. I bought a blouse and a raincoat for my trip! I didn't hear from Ali and though I was a bit disappointed (I had nothing to feel guilty about but he was fun to hang out with), it wasn't entirely a revelation. I never bumped into Karen (!) I decided since it had been such a late night I would have a jacuzzi bath and an early night. I was on the top floor of the hotel. I imagined this was their idea of the penthouse suite given that it was the only bath that I ventured into, with the bath's shiny silver jet orbs. I had never tried a jacuzzi bath before. It was one of those adult moments as I climbed into what was otherwise a tired and bordering on grubby dwelling. I watched the bath fill above the jets and pressed the button. It spurted into life; truth be told I was gobsmacked that it worked. All I was lacking was a headrest and some champagne (I don't like the dryness of champagne but spumante seemed appropriate) and I clambered in, and the water heat shot up my leg as I plunged too quickly. Suddenly my leg was on fire and I let out a silent scream. I took a red skinned foot from the bubbles and turned on the cold, and swirled the water although I caught myself as the swirling action of the bath was doing the job for me. Another foot dip confirmed it was safe to plunge. Oh it felt good as I wiggled my toes and relaxed into the bubbles. I closed my eyes and let the day wash off and dissolve into the swirls.

The following day I did a full day at work, then drove home at 16:30 in, typically peak time Edinburgh traffic. It took four hours and I was literally worn out and home was a very welcome destination.  The door creaked open as I staggered in like a drunk, spilling into the hall laden with bags.

I had told Mum about my meeting with Ali and what had happened. I didn't want Mum to think ill of me but such men for me that I am attracted to are few and far between. At the moment they were behaving like buses. It was very coincidental.

A couple of weeks later, the phone rang. "Hi Megan?" 

"Yes?"
"Hi it's me, how are you doin?"

"Oh it's the man that says he'll ring and doesn't!" I said in a playful but clearly sarcastic tone.

"Well, erm.."
"Let me guess, you had your reasons!"

After a pause, I heard, "It's Dylan, is Mum there?" I had thought it was my brother messing with my head as always. He was a blackmailer and bully and I felt embarrassed. 
"How did you...why did you...Oh never mind!" Talk about crossed wires. Dylan was never this pleasant to me on the phone ever. I hated him and he wasn't worth my time. I passed the phone to Mum.

However a feeling of déjà vu occurred again on the 29th of March, 12 days after I met Ali on St Patrick's day. Mum called me to the phone.

"Hi?" I said.

I couldn't believe it after nearly 3 weeks, deja vu! "Hi!" Followed by a cough, "Erm, hello is that Megan?"

"Yes?"

"Hi, it's Ali" I realised that because I recognised his accent. I was very surprised and excited to hear from him.

"Hey, you stood me up" I joked.

"No, I didna" he continued, "Didn't you get the message I left at the hotel?"

"No" I said firmly, "I didn't".
"Well, I left one, asking you to meet me outside. Anyway how could I stand you up?"
"Because you said you would ring and you didn't!" I wasn't really that bothered as I didn't take him very seriously. Just as well I thought.

"Yeah...well you have a point!!"
It was a nice chat that we had. He gave me his address in Penicuik and suggested I send him a postcard from Germany. I was going to anyway. I finished the call with, "It would have been nice to have seen you again if you hadn't have stood me up! Anyway," I concluded, "I have to go."