Keeping it in the family

We left for Heilbronn and as we drove in I caught the detail of the sign, which was 'twinned with Stockport'

We left for Heilbronn and as we drove in I caught the detail of the sign, which was 'twinned with Stockport'. Thankfully it was nothing like Stockport. There was typically German architecture, the what my Dad would describe as gingerbread houses, with essential surrounded windows, set below with twee window boxes, and brightly coloured masonry and baroque shaped roofs that I adored. So it was time to meet Dionisis' brother. I was apprehensive but the dynamics now that we were a couple, and in turn things had shifted and I knew what the lay of the land was now. I felt in the nook, there was clarity. It did feel a bit strange that I was getting introduced to his Brother. We were going to where his Aunt's house was, and Bad Wimpfen was where Dionisis spend his time living when he first arrived in Germany.

"Moving to my Aunts was a hard transition for me." He had told me the detail and significance of this place. He didn't embroider but I imagined from what he left out, that it wasn't exactly home from home. 

I was a little bit apprehensive but Giannis was at similar ease and equally friendly like his brother. He had mid brown curly hair and looked more German than he did Greek. I think he must have taken after his Mother for his colouring, given that I knew what Dionisis' Father looked like. Giannis had much heavier features than his older brother, but true to form, blue eyes. He was very tall but the biggest surprise was his width. I was so grateful that Giannis was just like his brother in that he was jovial, laid back and relaxed. It was clear he knew all about me, which was nice to know! I smiled a private smile to myself.

We came upon the twin towers of the Stadtkirche - a beautiful twin towered church pointing up to the sky

We came upon the twin towers of the Stadtkirche - a beautiful twin towered church pointing up to the sky. The late gothic churches are so beautiful. I took a photo of them both outside the German fountain. Dionisis rested his hand on his brother's shoulder. It was apparent they were very close and looked out for each other. We meandered around the town and it was obvious they were content to be in each other's company again. It was evident that they didn't see each other much anymore, which I felt in my heart was quite tragic. I felt sadness and in some ways I was glad that my trip gave them more time together. Yet they at no time made me feel like I was in the way or imposition on their family unit. It was so pleasant. I envied Alex, growing up with this family. I hadn't met anyone like them all, growing up in Yorkshire. At the time I never asked them about what it was like growing up in Athens, it's not a subject we really broached. But being surrounded by these people was much more preferable than most that I had been surrounded by growing up and now. The people I shared an office with reflected the people I was used to. I felt more at home with the Customers, rather than those I was to with with. I was feeling like it was time to get out of Dodge. I had had time to think and reflect and it was time for another change, to get my own place and put down some roots. This trip given me the clarity to see what I wanted and what felt now like the life that was possible. How did I achieve that without hurting Mum and leaving her desolate? Well she had Palmer in her life now. Time to start decoding what to do and where to settle. I wanted to carve out a new chapter in my life.