Part 16: Playing Hookie

You didn't see Daniel until the next morning, and the second he saw you, he pretty much ran out the door to get away from you. You sighed, but decided to give him some time to himself.

Johnny now gave you rides both to and from school. Stopping at the beach almost everyday. It became a place where you both could be yourselves with no prying eyes.

Everyday you looked forward to the last bell of the day, as it meant you'd get to spend more time with Johnny. He made you feel something you'd never felt before. You couldn't explain it even if you tried.

Daniel refused to even look at you. Every time you tried to talk to him, he would find an excuse and leave. After a week, you got fed up with his shit.

"Daniel." You said, blocking him in the house.

"Can't talk right now." He said as he tried to shove past you.

You held your ground, not letting him pass. "You can't ignore me forever."

"I don't know what you're talking about." He said as he looked anywhere but you.

"We need to talk about this." You said as you folded your arms over your chest.

"Talk about what? The fact that you're screwing the guy that's been making my life hell?" He yelled.

Your jaw dropped. "We aren't screwing."

"Whatever." He said as he successfully pushed you out of his way.

You ran after him, not finished with the conversation. "Daniel, please let me explain."

He stopped and turned to face you, obviously curious as to what you'd say. At first you didn't know what to say, so you started from the beginning.

As the words rolled off your tongue, it was hard to stop. "He gave me a ride home from school awhile ago and he was a completely different person than when he was at the beach. At first I was skeptical but he's proven that he really does care about me. If you want me to call it off with him I will. But just know that I honestly do think he's changing for the better."

Daniel sighed. "You don't need to stop talking to him."

You beamed at him. "Really?"

"Really. He'll get what's coming for him at the tournament." He said grinning back at you.

You pulled him into a hug, ignoring his second remark. "Thank you."

"Yeah yeah. Now get off." He laughed as he pushed you off of him.

"You're the best." You said as you turned and ran down towards the street. Excited to tell Johnny the good news.

He was sitting in his car waiting for you like always. You couldn't stop smiling as you hopped into his red convertible. "Guess what?"

"What?" He asked as he pulled the car back into the street.

"Daniel just told me he's okay with us being together." You quickly said.

"What?" He asked again.

You almost answered again but were cut off when he answered. "I can't believe it. I thought that twerp was gonna throw a bitch fit."

"Hey." You said, playfully punching his shoulder. "Only I can call him a twerp."

"Whatever you say princess." He laughed, putting his hand on your thigh, making your heart jump.

You smiled to yourself as you looked out the window, watching the school come into view.

"What're you doing?" You asked as he drove straight past the high school.