Chapter 10: A Magical Morning

Star Butterfly woke up extra early. She may have poofed up her dream dress last night after hours of literally sketching and designing. She ended up going with her most plain sketch, a simple light blue form fitting dress, decorated with a few heart decals. Additionally she poofed up some accessories too. Gloves, and jewelry. No shoes however, she intended on wearing a pair of her regular boots. It was very rare that she wore anything with a heel, she didn't much enjoy them either. (Part of the reason why she decided to go with a floor length gown). She would much rather be in her own boots, and luckily for her she could.
You see, this was one of very few times where Star was able to dress for an occasion completely on her own accord. Sure she was able to pick which dresses she liked during special times, but, there was usually some kind of royal dress code, something was always being tweaked by someone. No not this time, this dress, this outfit came from scratch. Well from magic scratch anyways.
It was hanging in her closet, nice and neatly, she couldn't help herself from looking at it often too.
But anyways, back to the point. Star woke up extra early, because despite having a magical dress, she still wanted to have her hair done earth style. No wand waving for that. Instead Mrs. Diaz volunteered to do it for her.
Mrs. Diaz instructed Star to wash her hair early enough for it to be dry by the time she would do it for her. And considering the length and density of Star's hair, she had to wash it before she even went to get breakfast.
Star was a heavy sleeper, and a late riser too, but it was nice for a change to be the only person awake in the house, getting the hottest water, and total privacy. Or that's what she thought at least. Until she heard a creaaakk at the door.
She slid the glass shower door a little, and peaked her head out.
"Gosh Star, you're up early today...don't worry by the way, I'm not looking, continue your shower, and I'll be out in a second."
"Hmm"
The girl continued with her shower, scrubbing her hair down, rising off any residue from the shampoo. She then grabbed the bottle of the conditioner.
Phbbt
She shook the bottle into her hand, trying to force some out, squeezing again.
Phbbt
"Uh hey Marco...you uh, still in here?"
"Yah Star, don't worry m'bout to leave now."
"No! Wait. Uhhh.. can you go grab me another bottle of hair conditioner pleaseeee, thaaaaank you."
She heard the door close shut behind him, she stood still for the time being, letting the water rinse over her body.
"Coming back in now!" He called out to her
The boy had one hand up to his face covering his eyes, the other holding the conditioner bottle.
She peeked her head out again, and then her arm extended to grab the bottle.
A bit of water streaming down her arms and falling on his as she grabbed it.
"Sorry Marco! And thank you!"

The boy swiftly exited the shared bathroom, he didn't peak at her. No! Marco would never, but when he first walked in he was oblivious to her presence. His senses weakened in his sleepy morning grog. That was until he caught view of her silhouette in the mirror when he went to examine himself.
Lucky for him and his young adult hormones the glass to the shower was privacy glass, blurring out any details that may have caught his eye in the split second that he looked.

He was surprised at how early she was awake today, I mean, she has told him last night that she was gonna be up early, but early for Star was 11 o'clock maybe, but it was currently 7am.
He had a few nice surprises planned out for her today. The first one being breakfas-
"Shoot!" He hurried himself down the stairs, pulled out a few pots and pans, and one particular box of "PANCAKE MIX!"
It was an instant mix, and all you really needed was water, however his mom always told him not to listen to that, and even when using instant mix you should always use
•1 egg
•1 cup milk
•1tbsp of oil
And to always add a dash of vanilla extract, and cinnamon to the mix.
And thanks to that recipe, he would doctor this plain ole instant pancakes, with love.
Chef Marco, mixed the batter, buttered the pan, and poured two or his pancakes into the shape of hearts.He left the rest of the batter in the mixing cup and covered it with a napkin, he planned to make some for himself and his parents after they woke up. He flipped them over when the crusts started browning. He knew Star liked her pancakes with those little buttery brown crusts. That would always be the first part she would bite down on.
He heard the water turning off from upstairs.
"Perfecto!" He thought out loud.
He turned off the heat to the stove top and casually walked up the stairs.
Walked up to her bedroom door and tapped
Knock knock
"Hey Star, get dressed quick, I have something waiting for you downstairs."he said in a low voice and then casually glided back down the hallway, then down the stairs to plate the breakfast.
When he returned to the kitchen he pulled out another bowl from the cabinet, cracked an egg into said bowl and mixed in some milk, whisking away, Star liked her eggs extra hot, so he waited until she was done with her shower and actually downstairs to Star cooking them. Plus scrambled eggs only took about 5 minutes to cook.

Back upstairs Star has her head turned over, wrapping her hair up in a towel and throwing back on her night shirt. Marco said he had something for her, so admittedly she was in a rush. Star wasn't very patient when it came to surprises if she knew they were coming, even her own planned surprises. The first time she bought a gift for Marco as a surprise, she ended up telling him what she had got for him, before it even came in the mail.
She slipped her feet back into her bed slippers and dashed down the stairs, but very quietly, careful not the wake the Diaz family and making an attempt to sneak up on her boyfriend.
When she reached the kitchen she saw Marco, with an apron on his body, a fork in one hand and a bowl in the other, pressed to his stomach, whisking away at the bowl. She smells a sweet aroma in the air, her eyes glance over at the stove and see the pancakes resting there. She smiles to herself, keeping composure, but on the inside, her heart melting a bit.

Star tip toes behind him, and reaches out to poke Marco. She poked him on the back, he jumps under her touch and swiftly turns around. He puts the bowl down on the counter next to him before doing so.

"Star! I told you not to sneak up on me."
He says, grabbing her cheeks in his hands and pressing his forehead to hers, he gives her a small peck on the forehead and then returns to his task.

He grabs a plate and begins scooping pancakes up with a spatula, plopping them onto said plate. He walks the plate over to her, sliding it down in front of her.
"Voila!" He says extending his arms out
"Hearts?" She asks with a smirk
"To match yours." He says, leaning over the counter and booping her on one of her cheek mark.
She blushed at this gesture.
"I'll have your eggs done in a second too."
He says as he returns to the stovetop.

About 20 minutes after Star ate, Angie and Raphael woke up. Marco cooked breakfast for the rest of them, making regular ole round pancakes, but still treating his parents to breakfast. As everyone finished up star grabbed their dishes and began washing them. It was the least she could do.

"So Star. Have you thought about how you want your hair done yet?" Angie asked.
"Hmm." She tapped her finger on her chin. "I think I'll leave it up to you, I just want something special, and uh different."
"Different how?"
"You know, earthy, and something I've never had done before."
"I think I know what to do."

About 2 hours later

Angie prepared all the hair stuff in the bathroom. Curlers, blow dryer, hairspray, ect.
Placing them all neatly on the bathroom sink.
"Staaaar!" She called out.
Star came running to the bathroom, noticeably excited.
Angie tapped her hand on the empty spot of the sink.
Star propped herself up with her arms, and took a seat on that spot.
"Hmm let's see." Angie unwrapped the towel from Stars hair.

For a good 30 minutes Angie Combed, brushed, curled, and blew out the teens hair.
The pair making small talk the whole time, normal things like ...
"Are you excited?"
"Do you know what Marcos wearing?"
"What time does the dance start?"
The final thing Angie did was spray down Star's hair with a can of hairspray, the sprays intense smell filled the room and the two of them coughed a bit.
"All done! Ready to see?"
Star stepped down from her seat on the bathroom sink, her butt and legs numbed a bit from the long time sitting.
"Yes yes yes!"
Angie grabbed Star's shoulder and turned her around to face the mirror.
"Sooo! How do you like it?"