critique

The lights in the Theatre dimmed. It was auditions. Pencil to your lip, you studied each candidate as they approached the deck. Your job was to make sure everyone was accounted for, much like a school teacher, taking attendance. One of the many tasks at hand when Being Mr. Rens' Intern. In addition to the given coffee runs, paper work organization, and pretty well anything else he asked for. You were content with the job, having spent your whole life dreaming of a job in theatre—you wanted to be in this atmosphere. However you couldn't help but envy each and every one of the people stood before you. So very sure they had a shot at being in this play.

"Kaydel Ko Connix...auditioning for the lead role of Lucy?" Jesus Christ even her name was perfect. "Here! don't worry!" She shot her hand up, calmly presenting  herself to you. Wispy Blonde hair and confidence to serve. She looked like a star.

You slyly smile, "Alright then." You continue to go through the list until everyone was accounted for. Some nervous, some mellow. You knew If it had been you on the flip side you'd be trembling. Which was exactly why you weren't there.

You assumed most of these people had a background. Theatre degrees, a few pieces under their belts. Unlike you, a Journalism drop out from (your/hometown) who moved to New York in hopes of something better. Besides one extremely underfunded, ludicrous high-school rendition of the sound of music, in which you played Louisa Von Trapp, and a gig as an extra for some tv show at 12 years old, you were not exactly the next big thing.

It all seemed so simple when you were younger. Even at sixteen years old in the heinous school play, you weren't the nervous girl you grew to become. Everyone had insecurities, yourself included. It never got to you though, you'd power through performances, eat up the crowd. Not a care in the world. That was until your Mom passed. A light went out that day.

It was Senior year of High School. Almost four years ago. You got the news while at a graduation prep ceremony, Car accident. You didn't attend anything for the rest of the few short weeks before graduation. She was killed in some fucks drunk driving accident. Locals donated money to your family,Enough for all of your post secondary needs. Your dad went off the rails, of course you couldn't blame him, but he ended up taking a big dip into it two years into college to pay for his debt, and liquor. He wasn't working, and You were left broken and even more broke. You had no choice but to leave, ghosts of your past and the shell of your father. You took the last bit of cash and moved on a whim. 'Course loans were an option, however you weren't even sure why you were studying journalism in the first place. Maybe just to feel like a functioning human. Ever since her death, you were shy, sad and lost. Nothing felt right, You couldn't carry on conversation, let alone remember lines or feel the spark to perform again. You hoped one day you'd rise above it all, and make her proud.

You snapped back to reality, clutching your necklace, pendant filled of ashes.

"Alright let's go! don't keep me waiting, we have a big day ahead of us everyone." The loud, ever so hoarse voice of Kylo Ren boomed throughout the room. 

You met Mr. Ren at a cafe you were working at. You knew of his work, you had even been at a few shows. He came in, asking if he could post a flyer for an intern position on the stores bulletin board. You obliged and made him a latte for free, complimenting his art, hoping he would pop the question "Do you act?" He never did.

He was a little cold like that.

Instead, he offered the position straight to you. Of course you humoured him, he was gorgeous, and it paid more than your cafe gig. Bonus points for being in an actual theatrical atmosphere 5 days a week.

He was a young god, thirty and thriving at everything he loved. Unmarried and childless, but nevertheless he seemed fulfilled. His work was his life.