Chapter 9

Chapter 9

Love and Marriage

Donghua slowly laid Fengjiu on his bed when her breaths slowed down. He was very reluctant to leave her, but he knew he had to go out and speak with Zheyan. He summoned a maid who came into the room with her head bowed. Donghua brushed Fengjiu's hair one last time before pressing a kiss to her forehead.

"Stay outside and keep watch. I won't be gone for long, but if she wakes up before I'm back, take her to my study immediately." The maid gave another bow as Donghua looked at Fengjiu one last time before looking at Zheyan, signaling him to follow.

Once they reached the study, Donghua looked at Zheyan as he sat down. Zheyan only looked back at him like he was some sort of unknown creature.

"Tell me, what is Jiu'er's condition right now?"

Suddenly, Zheyan remembered what Fengjiu looked like when she was recovering from cutting her tail and he hardened his heart.

"Donghua Dijun, Xiao Jiu's condition has nothing to do with you. I will wait for her to wake up and explain to her."

Donghua's expression turned dark at his words. Zheyan watched in satisfaction as he successfully pissed off the former Heavenly Emperor. He knew he was being shameless right now, but he needed to know exactly what Xiao Jiu meant to Donghua. He needed to know what Fengjiu was in Donghua's heart before he could decide if he should break his promise or not.

"From what I know, you rejected her 200 years ago right? Your name is not on the Stone of Three Lives. Fengjiu's fated one will sweep her off her feet one of these days."

Donghua's hand tightened into fists as he looked at Zheyan's smug face. He has always managed to control his emotions. All control goes down the drain when it comes to anything related to his Jiu'er.

"What is your relationship with Xiao Jiu? It's not like you are her husband? Anyways... I'll take one of your guestrooms tonight. I'll bring Xiao Jiu back to Qingqui tomo-" Zheyan stopped speaking when they heard a commotion outside. Donghua stood up immediately and quickly went to the door.

"Your Highness!" A maid cried as she watched Her Highness Fengjiu run outside the room. Fengjiu was very dizzy but she knew she needed to see Donghua right at that moment. Her legs were so weak she almost fell. "Your Highness!" The maid cried again as she supported Fengjiu by the arms. "I will take you to the study..." The maid said as she helped Fengjiu walk to the study. By the time they reached walkway to the study, Fengjiu's legs gave out. "Someone help!" The maid cried as she tried to keep Fengjiu upright.

Donghua rushed out of the study to witness this very scene. "Jiu'er!" He called as he ran to her. Fengjiu stared at his form dazedly. Am I dreaming? Is Dijun running to me? She was about to pinch herself before she felt herself being pulled up from the ground and into a familiar, warm embrace.

Donghua carried Fengjiu in his arms as she stared at him. She raised a hand and pinched his cheek. "Jiu'er? Why... Are you pinching me?" Donghua watched the woman in his arms with furrowed brows. He reacted! This is not a dream! Fengjiu looked at him with wide eyes. "Donghua! I thought I was dreaming..."

Donghua looked at Fengjiu's wide eyes and suddenly wanted to laugh. "This isn't a dream Jiu'er," He answered patiently. Fengjiu raised her hands and wiggled her fingers as if to check if she was dreaming or not.

"Dijun, I apologize. I wasn't able to do my duty, please mete punishment." The maid said as she bowed to Donghua. The maid was terrified. They had just witnessed Donghua Dijun take care of the fox queen. It was obvious he couldn't bear to see her hurt. Now that Her Highness fell, he would probably punish her.