Chapter 25

Chapter 25

I'm Home

Jiu'er raised a hand to caress his cheek as she pressed a kiss to his nose. "Donghua... will you sing me a song?" Yes Jiu'er, I will do whatever you want, but he closed his eyes and pretended he didn't hear her instead.

"Donghua... Sing me a song, will you?" She coaxed again. I should have sung her a song then. Now she's not here to listen.

"Dijun, what did you think of my voice? Was it not good?" Jiu'er your voice was beautiful. I'd give anything to hear it again.

Suddenly the setting changed. It was the palace they lived in at the mortal realm. Jiu'er was clad in her concubine robes as she walked towards him.

The sunlight was shining brightly as Jiu'er curtsied, the heavy headpiece she was wearing made a resounding noise. She smiled so brightly at him as she spoke softly.

"Bixia... What are you staring at? Let's go!" Donghua raised a hand to touch her but she disappeared before his hand could reach her cheek.

Suddenly, the scene was changing again. It was that faithful rainy night in Qingqiu.

Jiu'er gently caressed his face and gave him a bright smile like she always does. "I'm sorry Donghua... I'm sorry for breaking my promise. I'm leaving before you instead..."

He felt her body get lighter and lighter as he shut his eyes tightly. Please, no! She was turning to dust right in front of him. Tears streamed down his face as he tried to keep embracing her body. Her hand came up to wipe the tears on his face once more.

"Jiu'er!"

He called her frantically as if calling her would bring her back. Her touch on his cheek was slowly disappearing as he held her hand. He felt the weight on his arms get lighter and lighter.

"Jiu'er!" Donghua woke up from another nightmare, or should he say memories? All of the things he dreamed of had already happened and he couldn't change anything. She's gone...

Donghua turned to inhale the scent of Jiu'er's pillow when he realized that even her scent was fading. It's been 3,000 years, of course it's fading. Donghua held the pillow to his chest desperately as he tried to ingrain the scent to his mind, afraid he would forget it.

He's lived for far too long. Eternity just sounds like a nightmare. Today, he felt like her absence was more unbearable than usual. The scent was fading, and soon, he would forget what his Jiu'er even looked like and he couldn't bear it. He'd rather die than forget her warm smile. Jiu'er wasn't here to brighten up his life anymore. Taichen Palace would forever be cold and soon, their home in the Holy Blue Sea would be the same.

He suddenly remembered Jiu'er's words when she took an arrow for him in the mortal realm.

Whether I live isn't important. I'm just afraid you will forget me once I die.

I will never forget you Jiu'er. I'll make sure of it.Donghua took the bell charm from the side table and held it to his chest. He always felt comfort when he held it to his heart. He felt like he couldn't breathe as a lump formed in his throat. He's been doing this every day for the past 3,000 years, but why did it seem so unbearable today?

When he opened his eyes, Jiu'er's eyes were staring at him. He gave a start and looked at her form sitting on the floor. "Donghua you should eat... I left you some sugar foxes, remember? I don't like seeing you like this."