Chapter 23

Chapter 23

Wenchang Dijun

Fengjiu sat on the bed watching Lady Nuwa brew another batch of tea. She was really confused. She remembered that she had fainted after being struck by lightning thrice. She didn't have enough cultivation to bear it, so that meant... She had met her fated calamity, right? But nobody knew what a fated calamity really was. To deities, a fated calamity meant death. Although she had many questions, Fengjiu asked the most pressing one.

"Lady Nuwa... Have I met my fated calamity?"

Lady Nuwa didn't answer as she picked up the red thread and continued embroidering. Fengjiu looked at her with furrowed eyebrows.

"Lady Nuwa... Am I... dead?" Fengjiu asked unsure. Lady Nuwa finally stopped her embroidery and looked at Fengjiu. "Fengjiu, what do you think a fated calamity is?"

Fengjiu thought hard and answered, "Isn't it... the end of a deity's life? No one has come back from a fated calamity ever." Lady Nuwa pointed at the ring on Fengjiu's finger. "Do you know what that is?"

"It's... A ring. Donghua gave it to me."

Lady Nuwa chuckled lightly. "Foolish child, are you sure it's just a ring?" Fengjiu looked at the glowing purple ring and caressed it softly. She felt a warm sensation in her heart as she touched it. "Is it not?"

Lady Nuwa took Fengjiu's hand and poured magic into the ring. Suddenly, Fengjiu felt intense feelings attack her heart. She closed her eyes to distinguish them. Sadness, Longing, Anger, Exhaustion, Guilt...

Fengjiu opened her eyes to look at Lady Nuwa. Why was she feeling these emotions? Lady Nuwa stopped pouring magic, the feelings that attacked her heart abruptly disappeared. Fengjiu furrowed her brows. What does this this mean?

"I saw that you left the bell charm with Donghua Dijun."

Fengjiu nodded as she clutched the ring on her finger. Lady Nuwa smiled lightly as she released Fengjiu's hand. "You carved out half your heart and placed it on the bell charms?" Fengjiu nodded again. Lady Nuwa glanced at the ring on her finger again.

"Donghua carved half of his heart and placed it on that ring."

Fengjiu's eyes snapped to Lady Nuwa's. Half his heart? Then the emotions- Tears streamed down Fengjiu's face as she stared down at the ring on her finger. Oh Donghua, I've had your heart all along? Why didn't you tell me?

Lady Nuwa watched the young fox queen cry while clutching the ring to her chest. She sighed heavily before she waved her hand. Abruptly, the scenery around them changed. Fengjiu stopped crying when she realized where they were.

The Stone of Three Lives

Fengjiu and Lady Nuwa stood at the gates. All those years ago, she stood on these very gates to write Donghua's name back on the rock with one of her tails. Fengjiu looked at Lady Nuwa, then the gates. "What are we doing here?"

Lady Nuwa entered the gates without answering her. Fengjiu ran after her to catch up. "Lady Nuwa! What are we doing here?" Lady Nuwa stopped causing Fengjiu to bump into her back.

"Ouch..." Fengjiu murmured while rubbing her forehead. She didn't seem to realize that she could still feel pain like someone who was living. Lady Nuwa turned around to look at Fengjiu. "Didn't you say you would be fine if I rewrote Donghua's name on the rock with someone else as long as he won't be lonely anymore?"