Chapter 28

Chapter 28

Flowers, Rain, and Meng Shao

"Xiao Jiu!" Bai Qian cried happily as she ran forward to hug her niece. "Fengjiu Jie jie!" Ah Li cried like his mother and ran to hug her legs. Fengjiu helplessly let them embrace her as she smiled at Donghua's unhappy face. They had just arrived in Qingqiu where her whole family was gathered to welcome her back. There was also going to be a banquet where the entire fox clan and other deities were invited to celebrate the Queen's return.

Donghua didn't mind living in Qingqiu while Fengjiu did her duties as queen. He was a little unhappy that he had to share her now that people knew she was back. They stayed in their home at the Holy Blue Sea for two days before they received a letter from Fengjiu's family about the banquet. Donghua didn't want to share Fengjiu, but he had no choice because it was his wife who wanted to attend the banquet.

The moment Fengjiu finished hugging all her family members, Donghua was already pulling her to his side while entwining their fingers. The Bai family watched their interaction with interest as they thought back to that night 3,000 years ago. Fengjiu's family personally witnessed the former Heavenly Emperor lose himself in grief after Xiao Jiu had turned into dust. They knew that Donghua had removed his name from the rock, but then his actions that night truly proved that he was in love with Fengjiu.

It wasn't just Donghua that was clingy, Fengjiu also held his arm wherever they went. It seemed like they were inseparable. During the dinner that night, the Bai family watched Donghua place food on Fengjiu's bowl while Fengjiu also fed him with her chopsticks. They didn't have much time to see Donghua and Fengjiu's interaction when they were last in Qingqiu, but it was now clear that they would have to get used to Donghua and Fengjiu's public display of their affection.

To Fengjiu and Donghua, displaying their affection was not done on purpose. It's just that they were apart for so many years that they were making up for lost time by basking in each other's presence. Donghua held her hand as they walked through the markets. Fengjiu wanted to buy some ingredients to cook for Donghua. A handsome and tall man with silver hair and purple robes was already an attraction for everyone present that day, but what made them a bigger spectacle was their beautiful queen in light pink robes with her hand entwined to the man's.

"Your Highness! I have some fresh vegetables today! Would you like to see?" Fengjiu was distracted by choosing vegetables that she didn't notice Donghua had wandered off. When she finished choosing the vegetables she needed, Fengjiu asked them to be delivered to her fox den and turned around. "Donghua I-" She paused when she realized Donghua was not behind her.

She looked around trying to find him when she felt his arm wrap her into a familiar embrace. Fengjiu giggled before turning around to look up at Donghua. He brushed the stray hairs on her face and presented to her a bouquet of orange flowers. Fengjiu's heart melted when she saw his gentle eyes. She accepted the bouquet and took a light sniff before beaming up at him. "Donghua, these flowers are really pretty! Where did you get them?"

Donghua smiled softly as he held Fengjiu's hand and started leading her back to the fox den. "I saw them on our way to the market. I thought I'd pick some to make you a bouquet. Do you like them?" Fengjiu nodded happily as she stood on her tiptoes to press a kiss to his cheek. "I love it! Thank you Donghua!" Donghua smiled at her as they continued walking with entwined fingers.

As they were walking through the busy market, it started raining. Donghua formed a forcefield to shelter them from the rain. Fengjiu was about to continue walking when Donghua suddenly pulled her behind him. She was about to ask what he was doing when he suddenly knelt in front of her. They were already gaining attention by just walking around, but now that Donghua knelt, more eyes stared their way. Fengjiu's face turned red as she tried tugging Donghua to stand up. "Donghua, What are you doing?"