Chapter 33

Chapter 33

Father and Son

"Dijun, Empress says she is still putting His Highness to sleep."

Donghua nodded and gestured for Zhong Lin to leave. He put down his teacup with a frown and stared at the koi pond. If Gungun wasn't my son, I would have sent him to Kunlun Mountain a long time ago! A boy like him simply existed to take Jiu'er from me!

Fengjiu arrived and quickly sat beside Donghua, giving him a kiss on the cheek. "I'm back, what's the occasion?" Donghua glared at her making Fengjiu raise her eyebrows. What's wrong with him? "Have you forgotten that you have a husband?" Donghua muttered sulkily. Fengjiu had been busy taking care of their son these days. Donghua loved his son, but he wanted some alone time with his wife!

Fengjiu looked at his sulky face and giggled. "Donghua, are you jealous of your own son?" He looked down, before nodding. Fengjiu gave a start when she realized he was indeed sulking. She suddenly felt bad that she had been neglecting her husband these days. She wrapped her arms around his waist and leaned her head on his shoulders. "How about we go home?"

They decided to prolong their stay in Taichen Palace after Gungun's birth so that Gungun would have more people around him. The Bai family was also currently visiting to see the young fox prince. Donghua looked at her with a moping expression. She leaned closer and whispered, "Just us two."

Donghua's expression changed drastically as he looked at Fengjiu eagerly. "Really?" Fengjiu felt her heart ache when she saw his excited expression. She caressed his cheek and nodded. "Yes, but we pick Gungun up after a week."

"Two weeks."

Fengjiu pursed her lips as she looked at Donghua. He looked at her pleadingly as he pulled her closer by the waist. "I miss you..." Fengjiu's resolve wavered as she looked at Donghua. Sigh... I've been spending more time with Gungun... I didn't realize I've been neglecting Donghua this bad. Donghua smiled wickedly when Fengjiu finally nodded.

Donghua desperately wanted to ask Fengjiu for another child just so Gungun could have a playmate and leave them alone, but he was still recovering from seeing Fengjiu in so much pain during Gungun's birth. It must have been one of the worst nights of his life next to her heavenly trial. He couldn't bear to ask her for something that would cause her so much pain.

Fengjiu was clueless to his thoughts as she hugged Donghua tight.

*****

Father and son were having a stare-off as they ignored the game of chess they were supposedly playing. Gungun was only 400 years old, but he was like his father in both attitude and bearing. Gungun stared at his father's blank expression frowning. "Father where are you taking mother for two weeks?" His father had the audacity to look confused. "What do you mean?"

Gungun sighed impatiently, "I know you're taking mother away. I heard from Uncle Ah Li." Donghua narrowed his eyes. Ah Li that brat. I'll make sure he has extra scrolls to study in his next class. "I'm taking her to the Holy Blue Sea."

Gungun was surprised. He has heard of where his father was born and where their real home was, but he didn't expect him to bring his mother there without him. "Father, you don't want to take me there?" Gungun asked, hurt.

Donghua paused. He didn't expect Gungun to react this way. He thought carefully before replying, "Gungun, you are my son. I love you very much." Gungun gave a start with Donghua's words. Despite his young age, he had learned quickly that the heavens was not a good place to grow up, or so he heard from his Great Uncle Yehua. He realized that despite that, his mother and father were very loving, not only to each other, but to him as well. His mother often told him how much she loved him, and his father expressed his love through actions. It was his first time to hear his father verbalize it. Gungun knew his father loved him, but he was still shocked.