One Year Later

"Happy Birthday to you, happy birthday to you! Happy birthday dear Philip, happy birthday to you!", we all sing.

"Go on bear, blow out the candle.", Dan says and gently picks him up. With a little help, our son blows out his first birthday candle.

***

"Who knew a birthday party for an one year old would be more exhausting than the one I had for my eighteenth.", I laugh as I put the dishes in the washer.

"Honestly though.", Dan yawns, "But I'm glad we did it anyway.", he comes over and kisses my shoulder.

Turning around to face him, I say: "Looks liks he's exhausted too.", and nod towards our son, passed out on the sofa. Dan smirks and softly picks him up to carry him to his crib upstairs without waking him up.

I continue to tidy up the kitchen until Dan comes up behind me: "He's fast asleep, love." "Good.", I say and put my arms around Dan's neck: "Do you know that you're the best Dad someone could wish for?"
"I hope I am.", he smiles and bends down to kiss me, slightly pushing me against the counter.

"Oh shi-. Sorry, guys. Just wanted to get a snack.", Phil suddenly appears in the kitchen. We laugh it off: "Don't worry, we were about to take it to the bedroom anyway.", Dan laughs.
"Ew.", Phil and I say in unison at his joke.

Upstairs, I can't help but peek into our one year old's room. Not only does he look just like Dan, they sleep the same way. Both with a pout and in an uncomfortable looking position. "I love him.", Dan whispers next to me. "Me too. I can't believe how lucky we are." "I can't believe how lucky I am.", he adds and kisses me before closing our little bear's door.

While I am editing a blog post about how I organized our little one's birthday party, Dan is going through the pictures we took on our bed, just in his shirt and boxers: "Love, come here for a second.", he says. I stand up from the chair and cuddle up next to him: "What's up?" "Look.", he shows me a couple of pictures his dad has sent him of the day. "Oh my gosh. How is he this cute. Like, he looks exactly like you." "I know right, the Howell genes are strong in this one." "Can't complain about having some more of you running around.", I smile at my husband. "Watch him be exactly like you.", Dan laughs.
"I mean he does love drawing and picking out his own clothes, so I think you might be right."
We continue looking through the videos and pictures from the day but soon end up looking at some when he was only starting to sit up by himself.
Dan sighs: "Sometimes I wish they would stay this small forever." "Me too. I can't believe he's basically walking now."
Suddenly, Dan puts the phone down and slowly pulls me to him.
"So you agree that we should make another one right here and now?"
"I can't disagree with that, Daddy Howell."
We both laugh before I get on top of him: "You might have to take that off though." I point at his shirt.
"As you please.", he answers and does what he's told.
My kisses travel from his lips, to his neck all the way down to just below his bellybutton.
Before I can go any further, he pulls me up: "A year ago today you did the hardest thing someone can do, so you better let me treat you right.", he says and gets on top of me, without letting me answer.
"You might have to take that off though.", he grins and points at my shirt. I laugh and do as I'm told. His hand gently grabs my neck when he kisses me before intertwining his hands with mine, pinning me down.
His kisses now travel from my lips, to my neck all the way down to just below my bellybutton. But because I was told otherwise, I don't stop him from going any further. "Fuck.", right when it's about to get too much, I pull him up to me: "Looks like someone doesn't want to listen toda-", he gets cut off by crying we hear coming from the baby monitor.

He collapses next to me: "There's no fucking way."
I can't help but let out a laugh: "You said that I better let you treat me right, so... you might have to take care of that."
"Love, I have something else I might have to take care of.", he says, slightly out of breath, and ever so subtly points downwards.
Laughing, I give him one last pitiful kiss before throwing on my robe and making my way to Philip's room.