Chapter 2

(Y/N)

    It didn't take long until I was sat in an uncomfortable chair, staring at my older brother in the hospital bed. The slow, steady beeps of the machine that he was hooked to lulled me just a bit. I couldn't take my eyes off the large bandage wrapped around his head. That was where he had been hit. That was what knocked my brother into a long, dreamless sleep. It took me quite a while to say anything to him. It was just all too much.

"(B/N)... I'm sorry."

I leaned forward and took his hand. It was cold, lifeless. Just like how I was feeling on the inside.

"I should have never snuck out to that party. I could have been home to help you guys." A stray tear has formed in my eye, and it dropped down into my lab as I struggled with myself.

"I just wanted to see what it was like. To be at a party. But turns out, I don't want to be a reckless person." The beeps continued, and it almost felt like I was being hypnotized, but I continued my apology. I was going to get every word I need to say out.

"I know you're in there somewhere. I just want you to know, that whoever did this to you, Mom, Dad, and (S/N) [Sister's Name]... I'm going to find them, and he will get locked up."

The last few words I wanted to say were just on the tip of my tongue. "I'm going to work hard to keep you alive. At least until you wake up.. you are worth all the trouble. You're the only family I have left."

A few more tears slipped out, but I kept myself composed. My speech was finished, so I was done for today. I got up from the chair, wobbled just a little, and leaned down to kiss (B/N)'s forehead. "I'll be back soon. I just need to get away for now." Sucking in a deep breath, I turned and marched out of the room, taking one last look at his sleeping body, and then closed the door behind me.

*****

    The hospital cafe's were never that great to me, but it was better than nothing. The coffee was a little bitter, but it was something to take my mind off of the way my brother looked in that bed. There was a consistent chatter of people, and the combination of voices were just a buzz in my head.

    My plan was to get some rest tonight, and then start signing up for part time jobs tomorrow. I hope to God that I can make good money to keep my brother breathing. And I can't forget about finding the person who killed the other people I loved. I was so caught up in my thoughts, which were racing around in my head, that I didn't notice the shadow that was now over me.

    "Excuse me?" It was a man's voice, a bit high pitched, but quite soft spoken over the loud chatter of people.

    I slowly looked up to see who was trying to get my attention. A man in a white suit — perhaps a surgeon? — was towering over me. He looked at least 29 or 30. He held a cup of coffee in one hand, and a donut in the other. Once our eyes met, his smile grew larger, and I couldn't help but squirm a little at the gesture.

"Hello!" He said cheerfully.

A/N : And so it begins...

Sorry for the short chapter, but I hope you like it!