Chapter 39

A/N : Here ya go! Double upload! Enjoyyy

(Y/N)

I threw open the office door, the cold breeze hitting my flustered skin as my heart pounded with fear and anticipation.

Tanner joined me shortly after, his face bright with excitement. "Oh... this is finally happening!"

I went to turn on my flashlight, but was immediately stopped by Tanner's hand. I turned to catch his brown eyes, which looked black from the darkness consuming us.

"Don't risk it, (Y/N). Just follow me until we return back to Adam and Clint." He whispered, offering me his hand.

Without even having second thoughts, I took it, feeling the warmth of his skin as he tugged me along behind him, carefully crossing the old bridge and back to where Clint and Adam originally were.

But, the bench was empty. I bit my lip, darting my eyes around the dark playground, and that's when I spotted Clint peeking his head out behind the slides. "Guys, over here." He hissed.

Tanner clenched my hand tighter as he followed Clint's voice, leaving me confused. I could see where I was going now. Why was he still holding my hand?

As we approached Clint, I saw that Adam was ducked down next to him, frowning. They motioned for us to crouch with them, so Tanner let me go first, and then he followed.

"What's happening?" I asked, my tone sounding alarmed.

Adam opened his mouth to explain, but through the dim moonlight, I saw his dark eyes flicker downwards, and his voice came out in a teasing manner. "Uh... did something happen while you two were exploring?"

I followed his eyes along with Clint's and to my embarrassment, saw that I was still holding Tanner's hand.

I yanked my hand away, blushing, while Tanner just smiled cheerfully. "No, he was just helping..."

"Whatever!" Adam waved his hand with a scoff. "A black suburban pulled in at the end of the parking lot above us. I texted you guys as soon as we saw them."

Clint sighed, practically hugging his shotgun to his chest. His voice quivered. "I knew they would get here early... does the killer not trust me or what?"

I felt my heart sink as Clint trembled, fear evident in his eyes. Adam put a firm hand on his shoulder. "Calm down. You said the killer was already like this. Let's just go through with our plan."

Clint drew in a deep breath, and then nodded. "Okay. So the men are still in the car, but once they've gotten out, (Y/N) and I will go and act like we're minding our own business, and once we've put on a little play, Tanner can make his shot on the first guy."

From next to me, I felt Tanner shift position, and his eyes were hungry, hands twitching. "So... does that mean I can...?"

With a heavy sigh, Clint took the strap of his gun off his shoulders, and then reluctantly handed it to potentially the craziest man ever.

Tanner's crazed smile widened, as his fingers ran over the surface of the weapon. "Using guns usually aren't my style... but this is an exception."

I shuddered, the sudden urge to run away from him growing inside my chest. "Okay... so what if things go wrong?"

Adam shrugged. "Then we all come running."

The four of us exchanged nods, and then Clint stood to his feet, offering a hand. "Come on, we need to act like we've been exploring the place."

I took his hand, and as he was helping me up, I just realized something. "Wait, does anyone need a defense weapon just in case?"

Tanner grinned down at the shotgun, voice dripping with anticipation. "I've already got one!" He then proceeded to pull out his trusty syringe, shaking it above his head. "And obviously we need this as well."