Mandatory Emotional Baggage

A/N so uh... long time no update?

oops?

sorry?

anyway, enjoy.

Dick lined up the sight of the rifle.

He zeroed it in, finger hovering over the trigger, as he moved the angle of the firearm just slightly. he breathed out, slowly, eying the people below through the glass.

And he landed on his target. Allen Drewmore. He didn't much so matter as a person, it was his position that was important. The Light needed to get people into high up powerful positions, and the league of assassins would take care of it for them.

Which meant Dick was technically working for the Light.

He didn't know how he felt about that. The light was... well, he didn't subscribe to their beliefs. But work was work and he honestly didn't give a damn anymore. No matter who was in charge of the world there was always something wrong. Dick's job wasn't pertaining to government officials, he looked after the bloodthirsty villains.

But whatever, he had orders. He had no real reason to leave as of yet, and plenty of reasons to stay. The light was questionable, but they hadn't done anything too crazy yet. It's not like they were bartering the entire earth for power or something.

So he did his damn job. Even though that meant slogging through Bruce Wayne's speech about the importance of education and supporting those who seek to further themselves. Dick agreed with the message, but it was coming out of Bruce's mouth so Dick couldn't help but roll his eyes.

And if it was because he was guarding himself from feeling badly about Jason Todd's death... well, he wouldn't let on.

Bruce had funded a new building on the local college's campus, it had been named after Jason as a memorial. The guy had died just three months ago and Bruce was very clearly still emotional about it.

Dick hadn't even known him and he was emotional. Although that was because he felt slightly at fault. It was his legacy that Jason was following, he'd died in Dick's name.

And to the joker. Dick couldn't imagine anything worse.

But he wasn't thinking about that. Definitely not.

So he waited till the speech was over and people were spreading out and conversing. Then he focused the sight on Allen Drewmore, the state official, and he fired.

The crowd turned terrified, screams rising, panic ensuing.

Typical.

Someone would figure out the angle and send someone up to where he was soon. He flicked the safety on and swung the weapon over his shoulder, making sure it was tight against his chest so it wouldn't swing around while he ran.

He turned and bolted.

"Duvall, are you in position."

"of course, sir," Duvall answered, "shall I move to phase two?"

"I'd appreciate it!"

Dick jumped from the building and grappled to the next. If his estimate was right he had about twenty minutes before Bruce was done quick-changing. He had to be in the helicopter by then.

But also he had to shake off any followers before then, they couldn't see the helicopter. They'd know he had an accomplice, which would make the case look more suspicious.

Especially if they got a good look at him. he was nineteen which meant he was tall and definitely no longer looked like a child. But he was lean and didn't exactly look like the usual run-of-the-mill dark-web assassin. Especially in his gear, which was anything but ordinary.