Chapter 13

Lola Greene and Jaden Brown break up after three years together. It's all everyone at school will talk about and is seemingly confirmed by both of their absences.

There's multiple rumors flying around about why it ended: her father never liked him, he was scouted to move to the east coast to play football, they're tired of each other after three whole years. I feel like that last one can't possibly be true. Last time I saw them, they were crazy about each other.

Part of me wonders if I should check up on him simply because I have his number but I know that it's none of my business. It's not like we're really even friends or anything.

He's back on Friday, in time for game day. My dad was worried sick that he wouldn't make it but I knew he would. When I walk into stats, he honestly looks like shit: prominent dark circles, mismatched clothes, grown out scruff. His head is down on the desk and I don't blame him. His breakup is the only thing people have been gossiping about for the past three days.

I take my seat without a word, feeling kind of guilty for not even asking if he's okay but he seems like he just wants to be left alone.

When class is over, he looks up for the first time and gives me a forced smile when we accidentally make eye contact.

"Hey," he greets.

"Hi."

Cricket, cricket.

"Are you... ok?" I ask warily. Wow. I couldn't think of anything else?

He just shrugs.

"Do you want me to send you my notes from when you were gone?" I offer. That's the only thing I can provide right now.

He nods weakly in response and I give him a pressed smile. I don't try to talk to him after that. Sometimes, all someone needs is silence.

---

I'm walking to my locker after school when I receive my first text from Zack in days.

Don't reply: u must be glad Jaden's back

My eyes roll automatically. Is he still on this? When I see that prick, I'm going to-

"Don't reply?" A voice by my ear sends shivers up my body and Zack smirks at my reaction. "You still didn't change it?"

I step away to maintain a good distance between us as we walk. "It's not going to change," I state.

"You always reply, though," he points out.

I bite my lip. Damnit, he's right.

"Don't worry." I look up at him. "From now on, I won't."

He grins wickedly. "I give you two days before you break," he challenges.

I shake my head. "You think you're so irresistible."

"I mean, if I was a girl, I'd do me."

My top lip curls. "Don't you have something else to do besides fantasizing about yourself?"

He leans down to my face, stopping me in my tracks. "Would you rather I fantasize about you?"

My mind reels, remembering my disturbing thoughts the other night, and I turn to face away from him. "I hate you." I scowl because that's the best response I've got.

"No, you don't," he refutes knowingly and steps in front of me so we're face-to-face. "You like me." That devious glint returns to his eyes and his voice turns silky smooth. "You think about me and don't even know why. You think about me before you fall asleep and even though it kills you, you can't help but smile. In fact, I bet you even dream about me."

I have to stop my jaw from dropping. Is he some kind of mind reader? Maybe he's some kind of vampire who set some kind of spell on me and wants to drink my blood. Didn't Edward read minds in Twilight? Oh my goodness, I must be right.

"You're delusional," I reply way too late.

He simply shrugs as if nothing I can say will change his mind. It probably won't.

"I don't like you," I add, overly aggressive. He gives me a look like he's stifling a smile but drops the subject.

"You coming to the game tonight?" He's still walking with me even though we're going up the stairs towards my locker and away from his.

"It's an away game," is my answer as we approach my locker. AKA no. Not that I would go even if it was a home game.

"Fifteen minutes away," he points out, leaning against the next locker to look at me.

"What, you want me to go with a cutout of your face and paint your initials on my boobs?" I ask sarcastically, looking away from my lock momentarily to give him a look.

He cocks an eyebrow interestedly. "I've heard worse ideas," he drawls.

I clear my throat. "Well, I'm busy," I state while stuffing all of my books into my backpack as if to prove my point.

"Hot date?"

"Yes, actually," I respond sweetly.

He runs his tongue over his teeth, studying me. "Really?" he says in a flat tone. "With who?"

"Laurie Laurence." I zip up my bag and shut my locker with a smile, making sure to spin the lock so the numbers reset.

"Sounds like a chump," he retorts.

"He's beautiful, charming, and has lots of money." Unbothered, I start to walk off.

Zack's face is unimpressed, to say the least. He keeps pace with me."And what castle did you find this guy in?"

"He's a character in Little Women."

Realization dawns on him and he bursts out in laughter. "So your exciting plans are to reread a boring book for the millionth time?"

I cross my arms. "You're only saying that because you haven't read it."

"Well, if you like it, it has to be lame," he says.

"Explains why you think I like you," I say in fake awe. I spot my car and start to search for my keys.

"You do like me," he states. "But you're scared to admit it because you think it's irresponsible. Which is why I need to bring that out of you"

I lean against my car and give him an unimpressed look. "You can try," I say. "The worst thing I've ever done is take a pack of gum from a store when I was six, and that was an accident."

He eyes me as if to say "challenge accepted."

"See you tomorrow," he says with a disparaging smile. I can't help but watch him walk away.

A/N: Hello everyone who had been reading! I greatly appreciate it :) Votes and comments r much appreciated. Thanks for reading!