Chapter 19

I don't ever try to eat lunch with Jaden after that. Rumors about me being a homewrecker spread like wildfire but I still agree to hang out with him after school. I'm not going to let stupid high school rumors get in the way of my friendship with him.

It turns out that Jaden's idea of "teaching him how to be single" is more like "teaching him how to win back Lola." It doesn't bother me how much he talks about her because I get free McDonald's out of it but I can't tell if he actually wants to move on or not.

"Have you considered getting a pedicure?" I suggest one day at Starbucks.

"I'm a guy, Amelia," he responds. I roll my eyes immediately.

"Well, you obviously have a fragile sense of masculinity." If Laurie from Little Women existed, I'm sure he would be down to get pedicures.

"Hey!" he protests, offended.

I don't take back what I said. "Since when did a pedicure determine whether you're a man or not?" I challenge.

He gives me a pointed look. "The guys on the team would kick my ass."

Unfortunately, he's probably right. All of these years of reading literature have brought me to one major conclusion: society sucks. Still, I say, "I would argue that men who get pedicures are more secure in their masculinity than those who don't."

He grimaces, clearly dismissing what I've said, but all he asks is "how would that help anyway?"

"It's self-care," I answer, turning my attention to my homework. Meeting with Jaden after school hours means multi-tasking. Luckily, he doesn't seem to mind.

"Part of being alone is taking care of yourself. Especially you because you exercise so much." I read a couple of self-improvement books before meeting with Jaden. "Ooh! You should do a bubble bath."

"Amelia," he starts as if disappointed with me. "I'm not gonna take a bubble bath."

I pause my writing. "Why do you ask for my help if you aren't gonna do anything I suggest?"

"I do do what you suggest!" he protests. "Listen to music, put away my pictures of her, reorganize my room."

Hm. Maybe everything I'm suggesting is too shallow.

"You should journal," I propose. "Writing my thoughts down always helps me organize them. Write down anything that's on your mind."

"I can do that," he agrees.

I pause. "You know nothing's gonna help as much as time, right?"

He glances down at his water cup and adjusts his crewneck sweater. "I know. I have been feeling better, though, thanks to you." He smiles at me softly and peers over at my notes. "What is that?"

"My codes," I say, trying not to let out a sigh.

"Codes?" he repeats.

"Coding. Like computer science." Honestly, that's the best way I can think of to explain it.

He squints at my notes. "Looks like a headache."

"It is," I agree immediately. "But it's a headache that will guarantee me a job."

Jaden nods slowly in understanding. "You're really smart, aren't you?"

I let out a 'pfft' sound. "The basics of coding aren't that hard."

"Also, your stats notes were some textbook level shit," he adds. A tiny smile creeps on my lips. Are we debating whether I'm smart or not?

"The effort you put into football, I put into studying," I explain. "Anyone could do it if they really tried."

"I try, though," Jaden says thoughtfully, bringing a chuckle out of me. "But I'm not studying while we're hanging out."

"Am I bothering you? I can take a break-"

"No, you're fine. I know you're listening." He laughs to himself. "I've never seen someone who likes studying as much as you."

I don't like studying; I just do it. "What is it you guys say?" I ask. "Grind never stops?" Coming out of my mouth, the words sound awkward.

He explodes in laughter. "You're so cute. Do you want another scone or something?"

Blinking awkwardly at his comment, I focus on my notes. "I'm okay."

He watches me study quietly for a moment then says, "you have pretty handwriting."

I look up and a grin appears on my lips. "Thanks?" I say. There's a compliment I've never received before. I shake my head. "You're, like, the nicest guy ever, Jaden."

"You've told me that before," he says with a small smile.

"It's true." How can such a nice guy be best friends with a guy like Zack? Jaden is the type of guy who gives everyone kindness the second he meets them. With Zack, it's like you have to prove you're worthy of his existence. My jaw clenches.

My hands reach urgently for my frappuccino and Jaden watches, blinking, as I chug it until I get a brain freeze.

"I'm gonna go," I announce.

"Oh, uh, ok..." Jaden stutters. He watches me, shocked, as I hurry and pack up. "See you tomorrow."

I nod and before I exit, I make sure to give him a wave so that he knows I'm normal. He waves back with a warm smile.

Bless his heart.

A/N: another fillerish chapter. Pls forgive me TT I promise next chapter will have some action! Votes and comments r appreciated