Chapter 30

I get discharged the next morning and when I arrive at home, there are red roses on the table. My heart swells for a second. Sure, the car ride home was awkward but maybe my parents do care deep down.

The hope quelches the second I open the note:

Amelia,

Hope you're feeling better when you receive these. I was really worried about you yesterday and I've realized... you're more than just a friend to me. Call me when you get a chance.

There's no name on the card but I assume that they're from Zack, and I have to contain myself from shouting. When I pick up my phone to call him, he's already texted me. Checking the perimeters first, I open the message.

Don't reply: how r u feeling?

I know I should probably change his ID on my phone but it's honestly safer if everyone just has code names so my parents don't know who's texting me.

Amelia: i'm good. Thank u for the flowers

He takes a while to respond, in which time I find a vase to fill with water and put the roses in. I've never received flowers from a boy before. It brings a little bit of a smile to my face. I'm surprised my parents even brought the flowers inside and didn't just leave them out to die or something.

Finally, my phone lights up with a new text.

Don't reply: flowers?

Is he playing dumb or something?

Amelia: the roses u dropped off at my house. They are from you, right?

The second the text sends, my heart sinks with realization. Rushing back to the card, I analyze the handwriting. It's definitely not Zack's.

Don't reply: i'm coming over

Panic rises in my chest. I try to push it away. The flowers are probably from my friends or the neighbors, right? I know that I'm lying to myself. A gut feeling is rarely wrong.

It takes me a while to disable the location tracker on my phone and sneak out, and I can tell that Zack is anxious when I meet him outside. It's a rigid uneasiness. When he catches sight of me, he doesn't soften like he usually does. Something is definitely wrong.

"Hey," I greet as casually as possible.

"Hey," he replies.

My mind searches for something to say and I feel my hands start to fuss with each other. Why do I feel so nervous?

"What are we doing, Amelia?" he asks finally.

I pause. "What do you mean?" I ask quietly. I'm being frustrating; I know. But I can't bring myself to just suck it up and admit my feelings.

His eyes are bright and they bore into me, trying to read me. Then his guard drops. "I like you. I know Jaden has a thing for you and your parents fucking hate me but I like you. I can't stop." He doesn't even blink. "I don't give a fuck what anyone else thinks. I just want you."

He waits for me to say something as I'm taking it all in. My lips part. His face drops.

I lurch forward and wrap him in a hug. "I want you, too," I say. My heart is beating so hard that I can hear it in my ears. 

His eyes close as he draws me closer. "Say it again," he requests, voice low.

"I want you."

He pulls me in even closer, pressing his lips into my hair, and I bask in the warmth between us. For the first time in a long time, my body is overtaken by joy.---